Author Topic: Urgent help needed guys...  (Read 2628 times)

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
Urgent help needed guys...
« on: November 26, 2006, 07:02:57 PM »
I'm smack dab in the middle of a problem here. I had decided a while back to sell my B4, purchase an economical car(I currently have only the bike), and then save up for another two wheeled machine in the spring. Now, see the thing is tomorrow is when the fellow is going to take delivery of my bike, deal is pretty much already done. Then I will take a look at some older VW's to drive around for a little while, but i'll be without a bike. Originally this didn't bother me at all, but now, I'm starting to not like the idea.

I've been rolling this around in my head all day, I live in Central Florida and yeah, it doesn't get really cold, but it gets cold for us, and sometimes it's nice to just jump in the car and go to the store for something simple without having to suit up. The weather is what originally prompted this decision, I have a Dainese jacket, liner in, A Star SP-2 gloves, but no leather pants, with Dickies boots. And I'll tell you what, some of those days going to work in the AM, about halfway there you think about turning around and going back to bed. That is when I decided I needed a car, and when my girlfriend got tired of picking me up if we went somewhere together.

So what do you think guys? After selling the bike and buying a car, I won't have a whole lot left over, but it's something to start with, to start saving at least, but I know it won't happen for at least a few months, at least. We, being me and my roommate, are moving in January as well, so this is preplanning for that, so i can move my stuff, and I would think spending the money to get a reliable car now would pay off in the end, but it means selling the bike.

So there you have it, i'm sure someone can relate to this, basically, if you don't feel like reading my novel-like post, should I be without a bike for the winter season for the trade-off of buying a halfway decent car? Or do I tough it out and wait till i absolutely have to positively have a cage?

Help me out guys...

Steve

P.S. I don't want to hear anything about how it doesn't get cold in Florida! It snowed here last week! :lol:
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline FrankB12

• Board Regular!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:21:27 PM »
It's a lot colder in Illinois than Florida, but I would suggest that you buy that car as your first priority.  What if you go on a job interview and it's raining?  Get something pre-driven (love that term?), economical, and don't spend more than you can afford.  

Before you know it, by skipping on a few luxuries (like going to the movies, eating out dinner, music CDs, whatever things are non-essential), you'll have enough saved up to buy a decent used motorcylcle.  Who cares if it's used?  

Some of my best memories were of 1977 Suzuki GS750 that I bought for $500.  I was 18 years old at the time and the bike was definitely not current or trendy when purchased.  But you know what?  I had as much fun on that bike as my Bandit.  It doesn't matter what you ride, and I'm sure most on this board have similar stories.  It might take some economic discipline, but there's no reason you can't have both a car and a bike.
FrankB12
2003 Silver Bandit 1200S, JE 1216, GSXR cams, ported, Yosh RS-3 slip on
1992 Red Seca II

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »
Quote from: "FrankB12"
It's a lot colder in Illinois than Florida, but I would suggest that you buy that car as your first priority.  What if you go on a job interview and it's raining?  Get something pre-driven (love that term?), economical, and don't spend more than you can afford.  

Before you know it, by skipping on a few luxuries (like going to the movies, eating out dinner, music CDs, whatever things are non-essential), you'll have enough saved up to buy a decent used motorcylcle.  Who cares if it's used?  

Some of my best memories were of 1977 Suzuki GS750 that I bought for $500.  I was 18 years old at the time and the bike was definitely not current or trendy when purchased.  But you know what?  I had as much fun on that bike as my Bandit.  It doesn't matter what you ride, and I'm sure most on this board have similar stories.  It might take some economic discipline, but there's no reason you can't have both a car and a bike.

Yeah I had a long talk with the pops last night, he did the 'no car' thing when we lived in Buffalo, NY for a few years, said he would never do it again. So he has guided me to end up selling the bike and buying a 4 wheeled machine. Hopefully I'll be back on two wheels soon enough though.

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:14:29 PM »
"Life's all about setting priorities"
... fantastic Magnum* (ice cream) slogan, don't you think?  :lol:

Oooh, job interviews ain't so bad, nobody looked strange at me when i wore a motorcycle pants with a neat shirt.
But, for moving a household and the misses complaining... i can see that changing to a car will be inevitable.

But like FrankB12 said, try keeping a tight grasp on your expenses and you'll be able to afford something "okay" soon. Don't know how you'll pull it off with a gf ... best to be single in those situations :bandit:
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:48:35 AM »
Don't know how you'll pull it off with a gf ... best to be single in those situations :bandit:

Hey now!  I've never discouraged the other half from getting a bike, I even let him ride mine til he gets his own.   :monkeymoon:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Urgent help needed guys...
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:25:40 PM »