Author Topic: Petcock options  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
Petcock options
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:54:10 AM »
Im pretty sure my petcock is shot. What are my options for an easy replacement. I think a drz400s would fit but I don't know if it provides the vacuum needed. I also know Suzuki still sells them but I was trying not to spend $80. I also don't think it wise to buy another 20 year old petcock. If all else fails I guess an inline switch could work. Thoughts??

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Petcock options
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
Must be petcock season...

Search: make sure your petcock is the culprit first. You can cheap out and get an inline valve and cheap POS petcocks but they suck and you'll have to dick with them all over again.

If you just want normal operation: buy another OEM one, it lasted 20 years. If you want one with more flow: buy a Pingel. Both options are around the same cost and both have been proven to work. I can't say the same about any others.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
What are the pros/cons to the pingel vs oem? My bandit is pretty modded currently (factory pro config30 with an after market exhaust and pod filters. What does increased flow do? More power less economy? Is the diaphragm in the petcock mostly for ease of pulling the tank? All advice is appreciated.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »
Diaphragm means no need to flip the petcock on and off: automatic so to speak.

I opted for the non-reserve, non-vacuum Pingel as I wanted the most simple option possible. It is also rebuildable.  There is more available fuel versus stock but all that guarantees is that your bowls won't run dry.

I've never had issue with either, stock or aftermarket as I don't think these motors consume as much the petcock can provide. I just prefer the simplicity of the Pingel in comparison to stock.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »
Cool. One final question... Which pingel petcock do I order? Their website list one for the bandit 600 and the drz400 both of which could mount on a bandit 400 correct? What part number/model number are you currently running? Thank you for all of the advice!

Offline FUP

• First Post! Be Gentle!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Diaphragm means no need to flip the petcock on and off: automatic so to speak.

I opted for the non-reserve, non-vacuum Pingel as I wanted the most simple option possible. It is also rebuildable.  There is more available fuel versus stock but all that guarantees is that your bowls won't run dry.

I've never had issue with either, stock or aftermarket as I don't think these motors consume as much the petcock can provide. I just prefer the simplicity of the Pingel in comparison to stock.
If you forget to turn off the Pingel petcock (it will happen) and a float needle gets stuck/dirt/whatever - you will fill the cylinders and crankcase with gasoline.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »
Yup, you're right.

I've been leaving mine on because the E10 and hot weather have been reaking havok on my pilots. Doesn't matter if you stabilize the fuel if it evaporates and leaves residue behind anyway clogging the worlds smallest most PIA holes to clean. If the bowls stay full, then fresh, "stabilized" fuel stays in and slows the process signficantly.

Been working so far. You can do this with the stock petcock with the hidden prime feature (search, it's been covered a thousand times.)

Fuel filter and fresh float valves keep the overflow from happening.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
Cool. One final question... Which pingel petcock do I order? Their website list one for the bandit 600 and the drz400 both of which could mount on a bandit 400 correct? What part number/model number are you currently running? Thank you for all of the advice!

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=8078.0

search......