Author Topic: Guess I'm a new B4 owner... :D  (Read 2661 times)

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Guess I'm a new B4 owner... :D
« on: March 08, 2006, 02:45:59 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4617894072

Seems like a good to fair deal, assuming it does run on starter fluid.  I'm more than capable of cleaning carbs and giving it a Good general overall (maybe that overpriced piece of paper from MMI's F.A.S.T program will prove to have some worth...  lol).  

Be back, with pictures, on Friday.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 04:17:31 AM »
Looks decent.  Do you know much about repairing bikes?

Fork seals:  fairly simple.  Just need to impact the lower bolts out and the rest is as per the usual (let us know if you need any explaination).

Engine/re-tune the carbs:  Yup, clean them out, set them back to stockish.  2-2.5 turns out on the pilots, inspect needles and main jets.  There is a small lip about .5mm down from the absolute top of the emulsion tubes where is decreases about .5mm overall diameter.  Grab a cheap caliper and measure if you're unsure about the min diameter.  Flat spot around 6-7k is normal, may be tuned out with clip posistion on main needle.  110+ mph and ~40 mpg seems to be the normal range.

I'm fairly in the bag, but let us know if you need any help, welcome to the board  :congrats:
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 11:46:30 AM »
Thanks...  And yeah, I'm handy arround bikes.  My last 2 ('91 VFR and '01 EX250) were basket cases....  litterally, picked up in a half dozen boxes.  I built, rode (one for the wife, this B4 will be hers too...  kinda.  :D ) and then sold them for a bit more than double what I had invested.  

And forks aren't a concern either, I was the lead tech at Traxxion Dynamics a handfull of years ago....  gained a bit of useful information while there.  Mostly that Max is a twit (egomaniac...  I've never met someone with a big a head as he had), but I learned some fork stuff too.

I just figgured that if it runs, then I'll be missing out on the CDI issues (at least for awhile).  I can do all the rest of the mechanical work before this season, and then worry about cosmetics next winter.  It's a project bike...  something to do for fun.   :grin:

We'll see how bad it is tomorrow when I get down there and pick it up (only 700 miles away..   :roll:  most of that drolling along I-80 across southern WY and all of NE)
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 12:00:26 PM »
:congrats:

The B4 makes a great project bike.

I'd try to run it as little as possible, until you make sure the crank case isn't full of gas and the carbs aren't full of rust... two common problems.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 04:55:47 PM »
Yup, not going to run it for more than just hearing it run (making sure the seller isn't lying)...  then it'll be home, disassembled and overhauled.  

Not picking it up today though...  all of SE Wyoming is shut down.  I got turned away from the interstate just a couple hours ago.   :roll:  Looked like a pathetic storm that was causing the closures...  wasn't even coating the roads.

:thanks:
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 08:17:39 PM »
Did anyone notice this comment from the seller in the description?

" I did have trouble with it flooding and if I forgot to shut the pet cock off the gas would run all over."

Is the 91 different from the 93?  There shouldn't be an on off because it is a vacuum system unless the guy though up was on in which he was constantly priming the bike.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 09:43:09 PM »
Quote from: "BrianM"

And forks aren't a concern either, I was the lead tech at Traxxion Dynamics a handfull of years ago....  gained a bit of useful information while there.  Mostly that Max is a twit (egomaniac...  I've never met someone with a big a head as he had), but I learned some fork stuff too.

)

What success have you attained since you  left  employment from traxxion ? No one leaves a job because they are happy , but I find it more proffesional to not burn bridges.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 01:05:54 AM »
I can't seem to put into words how I actually feel about this (my previous attempts all read badly, I have no ill will towards Max ~ but he Does have a HUGE ego that gets in the way of everything.)  To be factual, I went back to my roots of computers and own a computer service/repair business.  It's done enough for me that I've been able to afford my first ever trips outside of the country, to buy my first home, buy vehicles that cost more than $1000 and generally VASTLY improve the quality of my life.  Working for myself trumps working for someone else in every way possible (with the side bonus that my wife's work covers my health insurance).

I am currently working with my local community college on offering a basic motorcycle maintenance class ~ and that's likely as far as my 'professional' wrenching career will go.

As for burnt bridges, it was something that had to be done (I was the only tech for most of one season, was expected to work 14~21 days straight, with days at the track running 7am till midnight, I earned a whopping $11/hour and had no health insurance).  I could not live/have a life while working there.  I had to skip meals when in Daytona because I absolutly could not afford to eat AND pay my rent back in Atlanta + my MMI loans (which were my only bills, I took home about $8/hr).  I know there's a HUGE segment of the MC community that have negative feelings towards Max and wouldn't see anything wrong with me quitting ~ some would give me more opportunity precisely because I quit.

But all that means little anyway as I won't be a professional wrench again.  And just a sub-note, I left a great job that I loved to go to MMI.  I had a dream (I can look back now and see it was a Foolish dream, but I don't regret chasing it) and wanted to see it through to the end.  So people do leave jobs they're happy with.  It's just not the norm.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 01:52:16 PM »
Quote from: "BrianM"
, I left a great job that I loved to go to MMI.  I had a dream (I can look back now and see it was a Foolish dream, but I don't regret chasing it) and wanted to see it through to the end.  So people do leave jobs they're happy with.  It's just not the norm.

I feel you there brother its been 13 years and im now in school to be a Pharmacist! From wrench to pill pusher!LOL What a dream it was. cheers
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline bonobandit4

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 03:53:57 PM »
Quote from: "ant_129"
Did anyone notice this comment from the seller in the description?

" I did have trouble with it flooding and if I forgot to shut the pet cock off the gas would run all over."

Is the 91 different from the 93?  There shouldn't be an on off because it is a vacuum system unless the guy though up was on in which he was constantly priming the bike.

Doh!  oh well, better deal for BrianW
I've actually read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'.... it sucked!

Brian
93 Bandit w/ full Yoshi 4-2-1 and jets
1968 AMC Javelin - Made in WI baby!