Author Topic: Please help me get my GSF400 Bandit running..  (Read 11212 times)

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
Please help me get my GSF400 Bandit running..
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »
I am a new gsf400 bandit owner and I am having souch trouble getting it running. I bought 2 bandits one was a complete bike with a title except for missing an engine, the other bike was a complete parts bike. I tranferred the engine from the parts bike to the bike with the title. It has good spark at all four cylinders, new spark plugs, cylinder #1 has 120psi compression, #2 has 125psi compression, #3 has 75psi compression and #4 has 140psi compression. It is firing on all four cylinders. The problem seems to be its not getting gas from the carbs into the engine. Gas is getting to the bottom of the carbs. I have cleaned and cleaned these carbs over and over again, i have replaced new o rings, the jets are in good shape, it has new floats. The bike will run when gas is squirted through the carbs for a split second. The diaphrams have no tears, and are in very good shape, they spring up like tUhey should. The carbs literally look brand new i have cleaned every little tunnel and there seems to be no clogs anywhere. The petcock works flawless, the gas tank has been completely cleaned inside and no signs of rust.. It looks like a new tank.  :banghead:Am i missing something? I want to ride this thing so bad. If anyone has any ideas I will really appreciate it. Thanks..

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Please help me get my GSF400 Bandit running..
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:09:49 AM »
Sounds like you checked everything but electrical stuff.
Also.. 75psi while others have 120+? That doesn't sound right

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »
Are the plugs hooked to the proper cylinders? If you squirt fuel directly into the the intake it should rev like crazy not run for a second.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
Yea the plugs are on the right cylinders: 1-4, 2-3. What electrical problems could there be? It will start and it stayed idled for a bit today, with very little to none throttle response. The rpm gauge i guess doesnt work so i dont know what it was idling at. The carbs are set to 1 1/2 turns out from seated.  Only 1-4 cylinders were hot, so im guessing its still not getting gas to 2-3. I dont know what else to do. As for the 75psi, i wouldnt think having just poor compression in just one cylinder wouldnt cause it to do this. Thanks for your help

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
Well heres an update.. I tried to start it today and it isnt getting spark. I pulled the plugs out and checked spark and nothing. Coils? Igniter? Also, the electric start button wont work, i have to crossover the solenoid to start it. The kickstand is up, and clutch engaged.. Also adding to my previous post, Yesterday as it was running there was a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Everything seems to be going wrong, if its not one thing its another.. :banghead: at this point I very frustrated.. Let me know what you all think. I appreciate everyones help very much. Thanks!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »
You've got a problem with your right coil. It also controls the tach. Try giggling the 12v wires that go to the coil and see if it improves.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:04:38 PM by interfuse »
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
Thanks Mike. Well the Start button is working now, and same with the coils(maybe only the left). Is it possible that the right coil goes in and out from working? I'll have to try giggling it. What did you do for a permanent fix, or is there not one? I think I fixed the white smoke problem, I drained some of the oil out, I guess I put a little too much. On the other hand, I'm still having a ton of trouble getting the bike started and to stay started. If i do, I cant even give it any throttle or it dies. Does any one have an idea how I can get this running, or other ideas what to try? It still seems like its the carbs causing most of the problem but I dont see how since I've cleaned them over and over and followed some of these threads on how to clean carbs. I just dont know what else to do. Any help is appreciated.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »
I cut off the connectors, stripped back the wire a little and crimped on new spade connectors. It's been fine since. If that doesn't work, try swapping the coils and see if the problem changes cylinders.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »
I swapped out the coils and its still #1-#4 that are firing. 2-3 pipes are cold.. What does this mean? Coils are good? Thanks

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »
That means both coils are good. I'm guessing you're not getting voltage to the coil for 2-3...
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
Thanks, should i buy new connectors? I am now getting fire at cylinder 1-4 and 2. The only pipe thats cold is #3. Other than that im still not getting gasoline to the engine...

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »
If it's firing on 1,2 and 4 then you probably have clogged pilot jets in your carb...
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
Although that's also the cylinder that's really low on compression...
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
Well.. Now its firing on all four. But it wont stay started and is really hard to start. It doesnt sound very good also. Do other people run jet kits in these bikes?