Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Craig806

• TURBO TYPER!
Starting problem
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »
My 1991 B400 is having trouble starting . The battery is 2 months new and the charging system is working well. I hit the starter and it kept trying but wouldn’t start – no combustion heard. Hooked up the battery charger for a few hours just in case. About 5 hours later I tried again, this time I heard a little combustion but it wouldn’t actually start. I tried it again today and the engine finally started but felt like it wanted to stall if I let off the gas for too long, but it wasn’t warmed up so im not too concerned there. The bike has 26,000 miles.  I’ve had it since February and Never had a problem getting it started – except for when I was having a charging problem that has been resolved. It does have a rough idle that I was planning to try clearing up with a valve adjustment and plug replacement before trying to clean and balance the carbs. The only thing I did right before this problem was install a new headlight bulb 60-65w Phillips Moto Vision. I really doubt it could be the headlight but will try later with it unplugged and with the old bulb.

My thoughts: Hopefully spark plugs… possibly ignition coil? Any pointers, thoughts or more professional opinions? I have the time to attack it this weekend and already went ahead and ordered new NKG plugs since I was planning to replace them, do a valve adjustment, and change the chain and sprockets this weekend.

I’m a bad luck streak these last two weeks… someone hit me with their car and fled the scene (I didn’t wipe out, they ruined the rear license plate and blinker mount and cracked the rear fairing) the next day I started it up and the fuel line cracked and spewed gasoline everywhere. And now it won’t start right… arg.  :banghead:

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
Have you put a new fuel line on? could simply have a kink in it.

Offline Craig806

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »
I put in a new fuel line at my buddy's house, and drove about 30 miles back to my home. It had no problem starting right after putting the new line in and made the ride without incident. I will check for a Kink though - could have been in a bad position and tightened up after sitting. I will check tonight.

Offline Craig806

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
No Kink in the new fuel line. Started up just now with very little difficulty but still more than normal. I've never had to play with gas to get it started. odd.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
May be worth treating it to a new set of plugs and check the low tension wires are a nice tight fit on the HT coil.