Author Topic: problem selecting neutral  (Read 5415 times)

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
problem selecting neutral
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »
just got my 1990 gsf 400 bandit on the road for the first time this week, seems to go ok but im having problems finding neutral with the engine running! if i switch it of i seem to be able to select it it no trouble, all other gears seem to be working fine any ideas?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: problem selecting neutral
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »
Do you know when it last had an oil change? the older the oil the worse finding neutral gets on the B4/gsxr4's.

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
not sure when it last had a oil change, but the oil in it looks very clean so i dont think its been neglected. ive new oil and a filter to go in it anyway, but it looks like ill need to drop the exhaust downpipes to replace the filter (not sure what the pipes are off, but they dont look like stock one) and ive been putting it off becouse of that! ill get it done asap see if that helps
ta

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 04:44:30 AM »
Trouble finding neutral is a good indicator that you may need to adjust your clutch.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 06:36:27 AM »
when you say adjust the clutch, do you meen the cable/ lever adjustment or can the clutch be adjusted internally?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:14:16 AM »
Follow the steps from the service manual for adjusting the clutch cable. Both the free play on the lever and the lock nut under the inspection cover on the sprocket cover.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 12:01:03 PM »
thanks ive found the clutch adjustment section in the manual, ill give it a go and see how i get on, and report back!  :thanks:

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »
ok, ive adjusted it as per the manual.. initially thought it was better but after i took it for a good run and it was well warmed up it just seems as bad as it was before! ill try the oil and filter change next see if that helps

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:40:44 AM »
ok changed the oil and filter at the weekend and it has made it alot easier to select neutral i think or im getting better at finding it!! it seems to go in easier from 2nd than from 1st. but as long as i can find it... that will do for me :clap:

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
ok changed the oil and filter at the weekend and it has made it alot easier to select neutral i think or im getting better at finding it!! it seems to go in easier from 2nd than from 1st. but as long as i can find it... that will do for me :clap:
I usually go from 2nd to neutral on my 1992 gsf400. It's way easier. Changing oil doesn't help much.
By adjusting clutch you guys mean it grabs by default? Can't you test that by putting it in 1st on the centrestand and pulling in the clutch?

Offline chukidrifter91

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:50:31 AM »
mine totally goes in easier from 2nd too, just a light tap down gets it perfect

it took me about 2 weeks to really get good at neutral from 1st