Author Topic: put fuse back in danielson. faw shaw?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline banditmack

• TURBO TYPER!
put fuse back in danielson. faw shaw?
« on: May 03, 2005, 03:11:48 PM »
I have a 96 b4 not v spec and much to my hate the headlights stay on all the time with no off switch.  The off switch situated on the right is for hazards on/off.  
I know all new bikes in the uk are this way due to regulations but I hate riding with the lights on so........I removed the fuses for the main and high beam fromt the fusebox located under the seat.

I know what your thinking and I aint no nightrider (get it!!!!)

anyway, if I do get stuck then I can always fit the fuses back in and hey presto! there is light once more.

I also know that I could have fitted a switch by tracing the wire but this seemed like a good option.

:thanks:
Tell me have I done the right thing?

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Re: put fuse back in danielson. faw shaw?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 03:22:17 PM »
Quote from: "banditmack"
Tell me have I done the right thing?

In my opinion? No.

Here's why...

Motorcycles are narrow. In fact, they are narrower than the person riding them. This means that from head on, someone coming at you is only seeing maybe a 2 foot wide cross section. If they aren't paying a lot of attention (99.999% of drivers don't, it seems), they won't see you.

Let's face it, say your going 55mph (88 or so kmh), and the guy going the opposite direction is doing the same. That means your closing rate is 110mph (176 kmh). At that speed you will, together, cross 1/2 a mile (.8 km) in about 1.26 seconds (providing my math is right). How big do you think a motorcycle without a headlight on looks like at 1/2 a mile? Not very. With the headlight at the very least there is a bright light source that improves your visability.

The problem gets worse, actually, if the guy approaching you is trying to pass. He's just going to nudge over and take a peek to see if there is anything in the lane, if he doesn't see anything he'll come over. The likelyhood of them seeing you with the headlight out is significantly less than with it on, all of a sudden you may have someone in your lane with nowhere for either of you to go.

Having the headlight on all the time helps slightly, since human eyes will register the light source better than the actual narrow cross section. You are simply more likely to be noticed with the light than without.

Plus...

If it's required by law, your likely gonna get a ticket.  :sad:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline banditmack

• TURBO TYPER!
true
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 03:25:17 PM »
you have a point.

Offline billythefish

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 06:48:55 PM »
puts across a good point doesnt he  :lol:
personally i have always ridden with lights on.  most car drivers pulling up to a junction look for other cars and if they see no cars they go, somehow theyre brain doesnt register that narrow thing hurtling towards them at warp factor 2.
Regards,
Billy
'05 Bandit 1200 (nekkid)

Offline banditmack

• TURBO TYPER!
billythefish
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 07:47:18 PM »
you have great tits.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:13:14 PM »
thats the new poster board for breast cancer!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 01:25:24 AM »
Quote from: "banditmack"
you have a point.

Thank you, occasionally I do manage to make sense and look like I know what I'm talking about.  :grin:

In the end, it's your call!

Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
thats the new poster board for breast cancer!

I shoulda been a breast doctor...

But nooooo... instead I went to school to program video games. BAH! Games don't get girls! The hell was I thinking?!?  :duh:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 01:36:15 AM »
How appropriate is it that this is a post about headlights.  :shock:

I always ride with my high beam on during the day for greater visibility.  Low beam at night.  Turning your light off is asking to get hit (being seen is hard enough as it is).

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 02:01:30 AM »
I added a headlight on/off switch to switch off the head light during start up, because the headlight draws too much current sometime not enough 'juice' to 'spice' up the plugs.

Also other switch which I add is fan on/off (very hot and humid) from where I'm staying and hazard light switch for safety because my 93 gsf400p dont have it.
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 09:03:35 AM »
As a bicyclist, I have to agree with HAVING LIGHTS.  I have a rear blinky on my bicycle, because I don't want to get rear ended.  I ride WAY to the right, if there is a good shoulder, I'm in it.

On the Bandit, it is hard to remember I'm not on the bicycle, so I try and stay in the left tire mark side of the lane (in the left 1/3rds of the lane, so cars realize I AM a vehicle).  Brights on during the day.  I wouldn't mind having one of those LED blinking tail light/brake light.

Nothing is scarier than coming to a stop on the freeway because of a traffic jam, and realizing that the people behind you may STILL be doing 70!  Staring into the mirrors  :shock: , waiting (bracing for impact?), thinking about lane splitting for safety.