Author Topic: Raising handle bars  (Read 3463 times)

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Raising handle bars
« on: October 27, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
I picked up some 7/8 handlebar risers I want to install.  (Carpel tunnel ya know).  The clutch and throttle cables are a little short do do so.  Any recommendations or suggestions of alternate parts to lengthen these a bit, maybe 1 inch longer would do it?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Raising handle bars
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »
Yup, that's my thread over there.  I haven't ordered mine yet but you can order custom cables from motion pro and you can get brake lines in pretty much any length.

Use some string to measure how long of a cable you need allowing for some extra for bar movement, then measure the string.  Go through the order process specifying length and the ends you need and you should be good to go.  Let me know how it works out for you because I'll be doing the same early next year hopefully.

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »
May not get around to it until next year either.  Lack of $$$ and not riding enough.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 03:03:48 AM »
Strangely enough, I had TWO risers on my old B4, and the only thing I had to replace was the front brake line. I had a shop do it, and I don't think they altered any other cables (I certainly wasn't charged for any other stuff). I never had any issues with the clutch, choke, or anything else.

Because of cervical stenosis, I needed to be more upright in my seating position, so I took the bottom half of this:

...and I put this on top of it:

This brought me up AND back, and I could ride all day comfortably. You can kinda see it here:

:bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »
Cervical stenosis and carpal tunnel here.  I tried putting on the risers, like the top set you show, and the cables were too short.  Don't know if the cables are stock or what.  I may be able to re-route them to get some extra length.  The brake line though has no place to be re-routed.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
>>The brake line though has no place to be re-routed.<<

Don't think there's any reason to re-route the brake line, you simply need more of it.

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
That's what I meant, it's straight, no curves that can be routed to give more length.

Update: I was able to put these on with only changing the brake line.  Photo later.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:04:06 PM by canyonbreeze »