Author Topic: putting my carbs back on the bike but have a Q  (Read 3927 times)

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
putting my carbs back on the bike but have a Q
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »
hey, so im putting the carbs back on my bike after cleaning and the bike wasn't working when i got it so i want to make sure everything is put back correctly so...the hoses that go into the T at the bottom of the carbs, where do they go? on the third and fourth carb (furthest to the right if your behind the bike) don't even have a hose after the T so i have no idea what this is supposed to connect to.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:28:11 AM by glweek »

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
Re: putting my carbs back on the bike but have a Q
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:32:57 AM »
so im not sure if any of that made since so ill try to explain again.  so on the bottom of the carbs there is a nipple, and from that nipple i have a hose the connects to a T that connects 1 and 2 and then that T is connected to a hose that was connected to the bottom of the fule tank.  on carbs 3 and 4 I have the hoses that go to a T but no hose after that and was wondering where this hose is supposed to be and where it should go.

Also, how do you prime the carbs when you are ready to start the bike do i just start it with the choke on and the carbs will fill or what?

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »
On my bike,there are 2 "T's". The top "T" in the center of the 4 carbs is a vent.That hose turns 90 degrees to the rear of the bike and secures on the airbox. The bottom center "T" is for fuel delivery and connects to the larger of the 2 fittings on the fuel tap. The smaller fitting at the fuel tap is for vacuum to let fuel flow when the bike is running.There should be a very small line coming from the intake connected to cylinder #1. That line is connected to the small fitting.
If you really need a picture for clarification.I'll pull my seat and tank for you in the AM.

A good tool lets you forget about the dent it put in your wallet everytime.

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:58:32 AM »
ok so im understanding the frist part in regards to looking at the front of the carbs with the top T going to the air box (which didnot have a hose for, but the airbox did have a caped off hose which im assuming the top t is supposed to be connected to...but why would some one cap it off from the airbox?) and the bottom for fuel delivery which is connected to the petcock.  I don't understand the intake to cylinder #1 though. 

this also doesn't really answer my question (allthough this helped out)  so my original question is refering to  there being one nipple on the bottom of each carb, carb one and two are connected via two inches of hose each that connect to a T, the T then has a foot or so hose that was connected to the bottom of the tank (not the petcock, but in the middle of the tank right next to the petcock) so my question is, from the T of carbs 3 and 4 is there supposed to be a hose that goes from that T to the other connection on the tank, 4 or so inches in front of where the hose from the T'ed 1st and 2nd carb is connected?

So i have some pics and im going to explain my question that i have about each pic...once again thanks ALOT for helping me  :beers: 

So this is the pic of the bottom of the carbs from carb 1 and 2 that connects to the T and then that hose i disconnected from the bottom of the tank next to the petcock...is this how its supposed to be?

this is a pic of carbs 3 and 4 but the T is not connected but resting just next to the idle adjuster...you can kinda see it but anyway... is this T then supposed to have a Hose that runs to the other bung on the tank that is infront of the bung that the first pic is supposed to be connected to?

So this is what your refering to in your post, with the bottom T (which i have a gas line connected to) this goes to the petcock and just above that is a rubber T that you said goes to the airbox which creates suction correct?

correspondng to the previous post the Top T is supposed to connect to the back hose thats coming straight down at the back of the airbox?  this hose has a plug in it...why is that?  so top T connects to back inlet yes?

ok, now another thing i just noticed while i was taking pics is this hose...thats not connected to anything either.  The hose comes from the coolent resevaur.  This hose goes from where you put the new coolent in, to the radiator cap but in the middle it is T'd and that T'd section doesn't go anywhere, it was just kinda shoved back next to the rear shcock.

sorry for the super long post, but im getting my battery tomorrow and am hoping i can get all this sorted out  :thanks:

and if it still don't work...ill try the cdi fix.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:00:42 AM by glweek »

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:18:27 AM »

Now I know where all the "T's" you where refering to are coming from.Mines a little more simplified than yours is. Mine are all capped off.

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:27:04 AM »
The bottom of my tank has the nipples on the bottom of them.1 of them I had no Idea the purpose of,now I know.The second one is a drain that directs overflow fuel at fill up time to the bottom of the bike through a routed hose.....Which mine doesnt have on it at this time either. :duh:

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 02:59:53 AM »
ahhh ok, so why are yours caped?  should i just cap mine as well?  whats the point of them? any idea why my airbox is caped and not connected to the top T in the front of the carbs?

any idea where that other hose from the picture with the coolent hose connects to?  if anyting...

Offline glweek

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
well after the looking at the oem parts schematic, i THINK i have figured out where that last hose i was refering to goes.  but im still stumped with the bottom of the carbs.  should i just cap mine?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »
Hi Glweek, the hose just sticks out the bottom at the back of the motor, there should be a clip that it goes thro.