Author Topic: Rear Brake Problem  (Read 2816 times)

Offline manxman

• New user!
Rear Brake Problem
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:10:30 PM »
Hi,

New to the site, not the most technical i'm afraid but learning all the time.

I'm from the Isle of Man, if anyone has heard of it, famed for the TT races.

I'm have problems with the rear brake.  Although the peg goes down the brake doesnt seam to be kicking in.  The pads are fine and the lever isnt seized.

Is there an adjustment I need to make to resolve this?

Thanks
Home of the TT races

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Rear Brake Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »
Quote from: "manxman"
I'm from the Isle of Man, if anyone has heard of it, famed for the TT races.

Lol...  :D  I suspect that most everyone who's tossed a leg over a sporty bike knows of the Isle of Mann.  :D  And you lucky bastard.

Anyway, sounds like 1 of 2 things...   air in the system, or old fluid (though air in the system would be LOTS more likely, old fluid usually still gives Some results when cold).

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/bleeding-motorcycle-brakes/bleeding-motorcycle-brakes.htm

That's a page that explains the bleeding process (I don't happen to use any fancy vacuum tools, just press the lever, open the bleeder nut, close the nut, let up on the lever ~ repeat as necessary).
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear Brake Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 05:30:24 PM »
:welcome: I think I've heard a few rumors of a race on your isle...  :wink:

Do the pads seem to move or flex when you apply the pedal but just won't do anything? Pads could be glazed.

Does the pedal get firmer if you pump the lever? Air in the system, bleed the brakes.

Is there any sign of fluid leakage around the hose fittings or pads? Leaking hose, fittings and/or seals.

If none of these fit and nothing happens at all, you've probably got an internal leak in the master cylinder and it will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline manxman

• New user!
Rear Brake Problem
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 05:56:48 PM »
Many thanks for the quick and useful info, i'll drain out the fluid and replace it as this seems to fit the problem.

p.s. If you know the circut, I live near signpost corner about a mile before the grandstand.  

I may have the track but you guys have the weather.
Home of the TT races

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear Brake Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 11:26:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure my weather isn't much different that yours... the don't call this the Pacific Northwet for no reason.  :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)