Author Topic: Carbs out of balance?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Nacho2059

• Board Homesteader!
Carbs out of balance?
« on: January 06, 2006, 01:04:20 AM »
So I have a 91 B-4 that had sat for over a year and was all gummed up and running really lean.  Cleaned the carbs, everything back together as it came out and I never messed with any of the set screws while I was cleaning.  After I put the carbs on the bike it ran much better.  However, it is hesitant to start sometimes, wont start sometimes too.  When it does start it seems to run a little lean for a minute or so, maybe a little longer and then appears to run rich.  Exhaust smells like gas and there seems to be a little extra moisture of some sort on the tail pipe.  Is this a sign that the carbs need to be balanced (synched) or is it something else?  Also, I should add, when it doesnt start and I pull the plugs, numbers 2 and 4 are fairly saturated with gas and 1 and 3 are a little but much less than the others.
I am taking the ole bike to my mechanic tomorrow but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Mike
1991 Bandit 400
New Spark Plugs and things are on the up and up again.
Shes still for sale however.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Carbs out of balance?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:35:27 AM »
Carb problems are hard figure out on the net. But it sounds like you're running rich in the low end. Assuming you're plugs are good, the possible solutions are:

1. Check and adjust float heights
2. Adjust needles one step leaner
3. Increase airflow with a modded airbox

Any of these changes may cause problems in other areas. I've messed with my carbs for a LONG time and I'm probably only 95% there. The last 5% is always the hardest. I know my bike runs rich when idling, but its running pretty good everywhere else, so I'm not too worried about it.

If your carbs were out of sync you'd be complaining about erratic idle + galloping.

Hesitant to start, kinda sounds like bad o-rings in the carb. When where they last changed?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Nacho2059

• Board Homesteader!
Carbs out of balance?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »
Well I have only owned the bike for about 4 months now so I dont know when things were last changed, except for the plugs and I just replaced them a few weeks ago.  My mechanic synched the carbs for me and it runs much better.  Sometimes a little hesitant but once it is warmed up there is generally no problem.  Ill leave it be for now and wait for some warmer weather, the 35-40 degree weather around here seems to play with the bike a little.
thanks
Mike
Mike
1991 Bandit 400
New Spark Plugs and things are on the up and up again.
Shes still for sale however.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Carbs out of balance?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 12:25:41 AM »
Quote from: "Nacho2059"
Sometimes a little hesitant but once it is warmed up there is generally no problem.

Sounds normal to me... when the weather is colder she usually takes a few blocks to warm up.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.