Author Topic: New member, new rider. Need help to adjust the clutch.  (Read 2582 times)

Offline topracer

• New user!
New member, new rider. Need help to adjust the clutch.
« on: July 19, 2005, 09:57:24 PM »
I bought a 92 Bandit 400 last week.  I tried to follow the service manual to adjust the clutch, but I was having trouble.

1. I turned the lock nut and the adjuster all the way into the clutch lever holder.
2. I loosen the lock nut on the transmission, but I don’t know how to adjust the adjuster?

When I turn the adjuster, it changes the high resistance point of the adjusting screw.

Does anyone can explain how to adjust the clutch?

Thanks

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 10:31:25 PM »
There are 3 possible adjustments.  Sounds like you have #1 under control.  Then if needed, get some play or slack in the lever using the locknut/adjuster at the other end of the cable.  To do this you just slide the rubber boot up the cable to get to it.

Lastly, you remove the small cover on the side of the engine.  It's the small (3 inches across, maybe) round one with two bolts.  Hold the screw still with a flat blade screwdriver and then loosen the nut (10 or 12mm - I forget which).  Now, unscrew the screw a few turns.  Slowly screw it back in until, by the book, you meet high resistance and turn it back 1/4 - 1/2 turn.  I find I get a better result if I turn it in until I meet ANY resistance and then back it out.  Now, hold the screw still with the driver while you retighten the locknut.

Did that make any more sense than the manual?  Hope so.  Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline topracer

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:09:09 AM »
I am still not sure on how to adjust the rubber boot adjuster, on the transmission side of the cable.  I was able to turn the adjuster rubber boot all the way into the transmission and I could also turn it to 1 inch above.  I think I don't understand what you mean by adjust to a point where there is some play or slack on the lever.  Does play/slack means if you squeeze the lever, it wouldn't pull itself back?  And "some" means how much play?

Thanks

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:17:13 AM »
I believe by 'play' they mean how far you can pull the lever before the slack in the cable gets taken up and it starts actuating the clutch mechanism. This is usually where the lever starts to have resistance on it.

When I did mine I tightened it until the lever was tight with no play at all, then backed it off until it just barely required me to start pulling it in for it to take the slack out of the line. I think it was about 1/4th a turn, but it's been over a year so don't take my word for it.

2008 GSXR-750