Author Topic: OMG! She lives!  (Read 3846 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
OMG! She lives!
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:38:24 PM »
Yes! After a long hibernation, the B4 lives! I'm pretty surprised!  :clap:

Installed the battery, fresh oil and filter and gave the air filter a good cleaning as well (it was actually perfectly clean, but didnt seem like it was oiled). I also installed a new set of handlebars that came off a Ducati Monster. A little lower and straighter than the stock bars (mine were all bent outta shape from the pervious owner).

After it was all back together I thumbed the starter and got nothing. It turned over and over but didnt seem like it was going to catch. FINALLY, after a few tries, it began to catch and got into a nice idle. I let it idle for a while, and then took it around the block a few times (its super windy, and around 0 C/32 F), and it seemed to run well. Yaaaay! I'm so excited! The next few weeks are looking pretty decent weather-wise, so I might actually get thru an entire tank of gas this April!  :motorsmile: hehe

Oh....one thing tho...I notice that for some reason, my turn signals do not work AT ALL. I though it had something to do with me taking apart the left hand switchbox (when I swapped handlebars), but when I activate the turn signals, I hear the "click" coming from the back of the bike (the relay, I guess), so I assume the actual switches are working, right? Is it a fuse maybe?

Other than that, shes A-OK!! Let the season BEGIN! :D
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: OMG! She lives!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:37:10 AM »
Fuse - or maybe the flasher went belly-up.
Do you get just one click, or multiples - like it's trying to flash?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
Just one click. If I recall correctly, it always did that. Once you activated the flasher, you'd hear one click from the relay, and then another when you stop the flasher.

I actually saw the left flasher flash ONE time, then nothing. No lights on the indicator panel (for the flasher). The high beam switch works, tailights function normally etc. I'll try the fuse tonite. I cant ride with no flashers!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:48:52 PM »
Cool, Goose!  It's always SO nice to get her fired up in the spring!  Yours went a little smoother than mine (funny story here). 

Hope the indicators are something easy like a fuse or flasher.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 12:17:39 AM »
Cool. Have a safe and fun season. I'm gonna super glue my bike back together and see if it starts!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »
Thanks guys!

So I checked the flashers again. Checked the fuse, it was fine. I replaced it anyway. Still....no flashers! I hear the click from the relay when activating/deactivating the flashers (does it only click once, or click each flash? can someone check please?), but nothing is flashing.

Any ideas? I assume the switch is working OK, since it sends the signal to the relay (which goes thru the fusebox, which is also OK) and according to the wiring diagram, they are also on the same circuit as the headlights/tailights, which are all OK (headlight hi/lo beam works, tailight works when brakes are applied). This is really baffling me!

If one flasher bulb goes out, do they all go out? I dont get it!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »
I'm gonna assume the B4's indicator system works the same as the bigger Bandits (and most cars & bikes I've worked on) and if one bulb goes out, the other bulb on the circuit will illuminate, but not flash, when that circuit is energized.

Generally, when NO bulbs work, the flasher has failed.  Of course, a wiring issue (short or open), could have an effect.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 06:56:59 PM »
my flasher only clicks once. hope that helps. :roll:
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »
+1 for a bad turn signal relay or wiring issue. Still remember your hand signals? It's gonna be nice here this weekend.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »
Measure everything to see where you have 12 volt and to see where it stops. You can't solve electrical problems by just guessing and looking at parts, you have to measure. Measure the switch, the relais and the wiring. First measure resistance (this is always done when the system is powerless) and then measure the voltage with the indicator switch activated.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »
Figured it out! I bought 4 new bulbs and a new flasher relay (I think a Tridon or Tidon 12V electro-mechanical part) from my local hardware store. I changed all the bulbs first...still nothing. :(

Plugged in the new flasher and voila! Everything works great! I think it flashes slightly faster too (which is good, cause I found it too slow before) Woohoo! Only cost me about $8 for the flasher.

So just FYI for anyone here...any 12V flasher unit (2 connector) should work in our bikes...no need to get some fancy Suzuki (or other bike) brand flasher....

:thanks: everyone!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 06:01:54 PM »
Ahhh... just as I suspected.  :bigok:

Glad you got it fixed! :thumb:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)