Author Topic: Regular Services  (Read 2429 times)

Offline lemining

• Board Regular!
Regular Services
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:28:51 PM »
Hey guys,

I tried searching this topic, but i had no luck of finding anything useful.

I got my bandit 250, and I don't know when was the last service and how the typical bike service looks like.

What is the service frequency? (every 1k km? every 2?)
What do i look for and what do i change?
a) I'm sure i change oil, but a while ago i was reading one of the articles on some website and i think someone was saying that you change oil filter every second or every third time you change oil. Sounds a bit strange, because in my car i change everything every time (oil + filters).

I have just replaced spark plugs (bike has done almost 30 thousand km).
What is the average chain life? Is there anything i should be looking at?

I'm just really new with bikes and i have plenty of time to sit in the garage and have a play around.

If anyone has any website or maybe book, that would be extremely useful.

Thanks!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Regular Services
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 09:21:42 PM »
Most car & bike makers recommend oil filter changes every other oil change. Most enthusiasts prefer to change the filter every time - figuring it is cheap insurance.

How often you change it varies on personal feelings and how the machine is used (just like a car). A common interval is every 2-3K miles (3-5K km).

Chain life will depend on the quality of the chain and how well it is maintained. A quality O or X-ring chain that's cleaned and lubed regularly will last >20K miles (30K km). With an add-on chain oiler, it's not uncommon for the chain to last >50K miles (>80K km).

I'll let the 250/400 experts weigh in on the frequency of valve lash inspection/adjustment.

Check fasteners for security.
Check normal wear & tear items, like tire and brake pad condition, play in the steering head & wheel bearings and swingarm bushings.
Check brake hoses for condition. After a few years they may be starting to dry rot, especially if the bike's seen a lot of sun.
Change the brake fluid in both systems. This should be done every year or two, but few bikes ever get that. Many have never had fresh fluid. Fresh fluid will make a marked improvement in brake performance though!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Regular Services
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 09:26:43 PM »
I tend to go by the Service Schedule listed in the owners and service manual for whatever bike.  I don't know if there's a 250 manual in .pdf form (though you could find out through this site, if it exsits, it's here), but if not, a paper manual is only about $40 US brand new.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline lemining

• Board Regular!
Regular Services
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:09:06 PM »
Thing is that i have been searching manuals for gsf 250 and i cant find it. I dnt mind paying $40 for manual. It is just no one has it and when they do, it is in japanese.

Are there any general information?
How frequent change oil etc?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Regular Services
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 11:23:06 AM »
2000 miles works for me on a street bike
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Regular Services
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 04:38:43 PM »
How frequent change oil etc?

5000 km (3200 miles) is what I use. If you mostly ride stop and go urban stuff, consider sooner, like 3500 kms.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)