Author Topic: Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......  (Read 10640 times)

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Just bought a '91 Bandit 400V......
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »
I tried the old fuel in the carb trick again the other day with the same results. It catches revs for a bit then cuts out due to lack of fuel (I think). I also tried choking each carb with my hand while trying to start it; there was not much suction on carbs 1# and 4#, but more on 2# and the most on 3#. When I choking those two it sounded like it almost would start and there seemed to be fuel on the sliders (especially 3#). When I choked 3# there where continous puffs of black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I also checked the manifold pipes of after this, 1# and 4# where cold, 2# was noticeably warmer and 3# had some heat to it.

Can the engine run on one cylinder? Is it obvious that there is a fuel starvation problem that a good carb rebuild will rectify? Cheers guys

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »
Hi chaps,

Just a update; I finally got the thing running! Got the carbs rebuilt for the princely sum of £30 squid! Lobbed them in attached the fuel tank and after a few turnovers(not apple) and some choke it started! Left it ticking over for a while, and then gave it a bit of throttle: revved up fine. Let it run for about 5 minutes, then gave it some harder revs, revved fine up to 8k then stuttered a bit; tried again after a couple more minutes and it did the same at 10k; left a couple more minutes and it did the same at 12k(bear in mind that the airbox was off at this point).

Could this just be because the airbox was off or that it hasn't been running for a couple of years? Anyway I'm so happy it runs now; just need to get a few thing done to get it through it's MOT!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2008, 04:12:54 PM »
Airbox being off would make it stutter.

Offline Vanishing_Point

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
Ah cool. So it appears that everything is in order!

Airbox being off would make it stutter.