Author Topic: Restored my Banit - won't start!  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Cyanide

• TURBO TYPER!
Restored my Banit - won't start!
« on: April 15, 2008, 06:59:39 PM »
For those of you who remember my GSF400 died last October when the generator disintegrated. I've spent months searching for parts and finally picked up a new engine last weekend for the grand sum of £30!

I spent all last week fitting it and completely restoring my bike to it's former glory but I can't get it to start now I've finished. I've checked all the wiring and as far as I can tell it's fine but the starter button doesn't work and there's no spark when I bridge the solenoid. Fuses are ok, all the wires are connected, kill switch is set to Run and all of the electrics came off my old engine and worked fine. She'll turn over so the starter (only electrical part on the new engine I've not replaced with my old, working one) is fine.

Any ideas guys? I'm desperate to get out riding again!

Anyone interested in the rebuild can find my project diary here - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17861509

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Restored my Banit - won't start!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:49:16 PM »
Sounds very much to me like somewhere the kill switch wiring is in wrong.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »
Outside of the obvious stuff which I'm sure you've already checked... you got the crank pick-up sensor connected? the fancy little wire going into the left engine case cover... soooooo important for getting spark.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Cyanide

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:08:37 AM »
Sounds very much to me like somewhere the kill switch wiring is in wrong.

The thing is I haven't touched the wiring going to any of the switches. I removed the harness connectors from the engine and rear lights but left the front end connected  :sad:

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 06:36:45 AM »
Check the coil wiring then.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 03:16:19 PM »
change the pickup plate from the old motor to the new one also look at the neutral switch indicator make sure they where both the same
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Cyanide

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 06:45:16 PM »
change the pickup plate from the old motor to the new one also look at the neutral switch indicator make sure they where both the same

Ah... that could be it. There's 2 wires coming from the new gearbox and only one from the old one and one connector on the wiring loom. Eep!  :shock:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »
Bingo let me know
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »
could you tell me which company your gettin gthe insurance through  ? ? ?
and the bike is looking good,
ain't seen one like it

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline Cyanide

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:42:50 AM »
Sorry about the lack of postage recently, sadly work has overtaken the bike on my list of priorities!

I found the electrical fault, the Side Stand Relay was knackered. Took hours of searching with a multi-meter to find out what was wrong!

New problem! It now has a spark and turns over when the starter is pressed but it refuses to fire up and backfires out of the carbs. I'm assuming it's a timing problem at the moment but I can't find much info on it in the service manual at the moment. Any ideas?

And the insurance was found with Tesco.com, I think it's through Equity Red Star though.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »
just check the plugs and make sure the coil wires are on the proper coils and the plug wires are on the proper plug

Offline Cyanide

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »
just check the plugs and make sure the coil wires are on the proper coils and the plug wires are on the proper plug

1-4, 2-3 unless the new engine being older (1990, Jap import I think) means that they go in a different order?

The other thing apart from timing is the fuel. It's been sat for quite a while, could this cause detonation and therefore said backfiring?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
plug order is right only other thing there is you have the plug power wires crossed or on wrong coil if you had them off. Yes please change the fuel and drain the float bowls and start over

Offline Cyanide

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
plug order is right only other thing there is you have the plug power wires crossed or on wrong coil if you had them off. Yes please change the fuel and drain the float bowls and start over

Not with the bike at the moment but looking at the pictures I've taken the wires are on the right coils. Orange and White to the left (1-4) and Brown/Yellow and Orange to the Right (2-3) with Orange (from the battery via the Ignition Switch) to the positive.

I'll grab some fresh fuel on my way back later and try that, if not I assume it's a top off and play with the valve timing job?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »
the timing does not jump on motorcycle with electric ignition only on old points stuff. your looking at carbs or fuel thats if you have spark