Author Topic: pick up generator  (Read 3427 times)

Offline regal21guy

• Board Homesteader!
pick up generator
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:24:03 PM »
Hey guys I have a 91 b4 that ive been having problems with. I first thought it was the cdi so i tried to do the capcitor change, then bought a new cdi and still dont have any spark. How can I test the pick up generator (the part thats behind the cover on the left lower side of the bike). I'm not sure if the way I tried to test it was the riight way. All I did was while cranking the bike over probing eachwire to see if there was any power going through with a test light and still nothing.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: pick up generator
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
Hi mate,
Test would be using a ohm meter follow the wiers from the case to under the seat and with the meter test for a reading of 80 to 120 ohms. Also check you got 12v at the coils (orange ane white wire).

Offline regal21guy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply. I will check that tomorrow also can some one tell me the procedure for checking the the coils, cdi, etc.. this bike is now driving me up the damn wall. It only has 5400 miles on it!!!! Please help me guys thanks!

Offline regal21guy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:41:01 PM »
Also could the kill switch have anything to do with no spark? The motor cranks over when I push the start button so I think the kill switch is fine but hey you never know. :duh:

Offline regal21guy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
bump

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »
Download the factory manual, it's on the site somewhere and has all the values you need to check.

I've found the signal generator wire can fray as well as a bum side stand switch.

Offline regal21guy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »
Ok I downloaded a manual today. I found that the black wire going in was cut almost all the way through so I soldered it back together and still no spark. As for the kick stand switch, if that is bad the bike won't turn over right?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »
Chances are the signal generator jammy shorted itself when it split.

If the kickstand switch is bad, it will cut ignition and the bike will not fire, you can jump the connections though.

Offline regal21guy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »
Now when you say the bike wont "fire" do you mean crank over or it will crank and just not spark?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:34:38 AM »
Someone else will have to chime in with that one as I don't remember.

I know if you plunk it into gear with the stand down it'll just stop dead but I can't recall from cold start.

I know the clutch will override the starter, can't remember if the side stand does the same.