Author Topic: Rocket Wont Launch!!  (Read 8632 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: Rocket Wont Launch!!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 01:15:06 AM »
...its seemingly totally random. Maybe I should splice a fuse into each wire everywhere and see what pops? I mean, being so intermittent like that leaves...not much else...but  :banghead:

That would be so invasive though.  You'd be more likely to introduce issues with all of the wiring disturbances. 

So an update:

I broke down and took it to a stealership. They sat on it for 2 agonizing weeks, then started riding it to 'replicate' the problem. Told them it was futile, why the F$@K arent you runnning down the schematic and testing things...long story short, they did nothing but charge me 50 bucks to tell me its fine, and they coulnt find the problem...

Unfortunately, as in all professions, some mechanics are better than others.  Sounds like you encountered the second type.
A lot of mechanics don't like to work on older bikes, and they will almost all complain about having to troubleshoot electrical problems.

For instance, I just picked up a "day job" at a local stealership, as the Accessories manager.  You'd think that someone would have been able to tell a guy how to remove the passenger seat from his mid-80's shadow before he got to me,.. especially since he had already asked in service.  In the end, I showed him how to remove it.  The young farts in service couldn't figure it out.

Do keep in mind too, that not everyone in service is a journeyman mechanic....

We'll take a look through the wiring diagram this evening, or tomorrow night to see if we can try to point you in the right direction, but right now, look at the connections that you share with the fan motor, sidestand relay, ignition switch and ignition relay.  It looks like all of these will share that 10A fuse.

Where are you located btw?
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 06:27:33 PM »
Hey!
Thanks so much for your help!
Yeah, some mechanics are dicks, gotcha, LOL. I had this guy in Quakertown PA that specialized in older, vintage bikes...he was great.

My current location is Danbury CT, but only for  a few more days. Just got laid off again and have to move back into dodge.
Thanks for the starting points too...

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »
Hey guys just a follow up...

After opening up the rats nest in the headlight, pulling everything out and inspecting/re-taping it all, I figured out my electrical problem. Underneath the tank, the fan motor wasnt connected into the series circuit of the fan therm switch. It was just orange green to orange green. So whenever it heated up enough, the fan would try to kick on, and blow the ignition fuse with the unloaded current rise. Broke the circuit, conected orange green to black, black to orange green and no more stalls!

Like, DUH! unconnected fan motor? Wish I had realized the fan not kicking on before, that would have sped things up a little bit, LOL.

And those damn fools at the MC dealership should be drug out in the street an shot  :annoy: for their ignorance...maybe thats a little extreme, but c'mon, LOL. unplugged wires? Kinda feel stupid after it all, but I learned a hell of alot! Thanks to everyone for their help and advise!!

Cheers to bandit alley! :thanks:

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 02:27:29 PM »
You didn't have overheating problems without the fan coming on?

Offline Rejektid

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »
glad to hear you got it sorted  :congrats:

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »
Cayon Breeze:

No overheating problems...when the bike tried to kick on the fan, it would overload the circuit and blow the ignition fuse...once cooled down, it would restart and not blow a fuse. I went through about ...twenty fuses before i figured it out LOL.

Anyhow...new issue. see new post... :beers:

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
So when it got hot it would blow the fuse and stop running.  That's one way to cool it down I guess.   :duh: :bandit: