Author Topic: Rocket Wont Launch!!  (Read 8658 times)

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Rocket Wont Launch!!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »
Since the fuse did not immediately blow again the short is not constant.  It could be inside a component like the starter or igniter, or a loose wire, a loose or corroded connector or the insulation in a wire is worn thru somewhere.  It could be intermittent and only short occasionally when you hit a bump or dip.  First thing to check is any connections or switches that were recently installed or worked on (ie: Run & Start switches).  Then carefully inspect all the connectors then wires for wear or corrosion.

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
Canyon breeze, thats awesome advice! Totally true too cause i slightly pinched the throttle cable it made the engine scream...I love to hear all the possibilities!

Now consider this. The bike quit on me again while riding, just after accelerating. I pulled over and checked, the same fuse was blown. Called triple A. the guy came out and said, i used to be a mc mechanic. (yeah, right im thinkin) he says put in this 15 amp fuse, instead of the stock 10 amp. fires right up first start.....wtf? and this indian guy at the liquer store told me in his country the used to take ciggerette foil and wrap the fuse leads, jumpering the fuse.

Since I care about my bike...I assume a 15 amp fuse would eventually fry the CDI...or coil pack or whatever...thus making canyon's advice that much more true...

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »
It blew as you accelerated you say?  Could be intermittent in the stator, regulator or igniter as all those are affected by acceleration.  Also inspect the area around the throttle linkage near the carburetors etc. to see if there are any worn wires that may be shorting by a throttle pull.

Obviously it's something/somewhere in the circuit of the fuse that is blowing so things on the other circuits can be eliminated.  Putting in a 15 amp fuse is probably ok for a while.  If that never blows then it's not a short just something drawing a bit more than 10 amps but less than 15.  The only thing on the bike that I can think of that would normally draw that much current would be the starter.

Good luck!

---  John

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
Yeah, cut right out beore i could even get out of first gear.

And the other thing I left out is that the second time it blew, last night, i immedialty replaced it with another new 10 amp fuse. it wouldnt start, so i thought i was in serious trouble. thats when the guy suggested to use the 15 amp...

Offline Wrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »
If it's doing that, it's definitely your regulator/rectifier. (Both are one unit on almost every bike.)
Fortunately for you I just happen to have one for sale! lol
PM me if you're interested.

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
Rectifier/Regulator is more likely to blow the main 25A fuse unless the bike has been rewired.

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »
Troubleshoot the reg/rec...gotcha.
Thanks guys! I'll keep everybody posted as to whatever happens on Monday, if not before...still no internet...gotta go to the hotties' downstairs computer and ask to barrow it...which aint all that bad, in retrospect, LOL

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
How are you making out with this?

There are tests for the RR on both the electrosport charging fault finding flowchart in my sig (I typically like this test better, because I find it faster, and I don't have to have any of suzuki's tools for it), and in the Service Manual. (You have downloaded that, right? Take a copy home on CD or thumbdrive if you have to) Go to the downloads section for that, and shoot me a PM if you have any trouble downloading it, some people have had trouble with the larger downloads.

I agree, based on my experience (see link #2 in my post above) the RR will pop the main, and not even let you get to the "ignition" point.

Likewise, there are tests for most of the ignition system in the Service Manual.  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:28:06 PM by stormi »
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 09:02:09 AM »
Hey! thanks for checkin up on me...

I unfortunatly havent gotten a chance to check things in depth yet. The 15 amp solution still has me scratching my head...but I am equipped with a multimeter and a pdf manual...even a laptop so I can actually look at it while I work! ...in reality I gotta get my lazy butt to the garage, pull off the tank and 'get er' done', as they say.

And the weather has been so sh1tty here its just disgusting...

Either way I'll get to it sooner than later, and follow up with what I find.
 :thanks:

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »
So im still lazy.

And figuring the 15 amp fuse solved my problem, I decided to ride it work today...first sunshine in weeks here. And the same thing happened. Except this time I made it home, and shut er off. Then I eat and try to leave, and it wont start. Same fuse, this time a 15 amp one, blown...

Really how hard is it to trace shorts? I opened up the headlight once...WHOA is that a tangled mess.

Offline Rejektid

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 10:46:55 PM »
Im just gonna throw out my two sense. What is the little number on the fuse block next to the fuse. #3 is the ignition/fan fuse according the the wiring diagram I'm looking at. I'm wondering if the the fuse is blowing when the fan kicks on? High resistance in the fan motor could be causing it to pull too many amps blowing the fuse. That's just my WAG.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 01:02:13 AM »
Really how hard is it to trace shorts? I opened up the headlight once...WHOA is that a tangled mess.

Depends on where the short is.   :grin:  If you can luck out, like I did, it will be somewhere external and intuitive.  If you're not so lucky,.. it could be hidden somewhere hard to see, and not so intuitive...

get the wiring diagram out, see what's attached to that fuse specifically, and start troubleshooting at those components and the wiring attached to them. 

I don't -think- you'll need to go back into the headlight rats nest.  I hope.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »
So an update:

I broke down and took it to a stealership. They sat on it for 2 agonizing weeks, then started riding it to 'replicate' the problem. Told them it was futile, why the F$@K arent you runnning down the schematic and testing things...long story short, they did nothing but charge me 50 bucks to tell me its fine, and they coulnt find the problem...

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 09:46:31 PM »
If you were in San Diego I'd help track that short down, and I only charge Tequila shots.   :bandit:

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 08:57:51 AM »
hahaha nice! I was just drowning my frusteration last night with margaritas...

So yeah. And in respose to Rejektid, no, the fan comes on fine and nothing happens...its seemingly totally random. Maybe I should splice a fuse into each wire everywhere and see what pops? I mean, being so intermittent like that leaves...not much else...but  :banghead: