Author Topic: Run for cover... Another Jetting Question!  (Read 5156 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Run for cover... Another Jetting Question!
« on: April 19, 2005, 09:46:38 AM »
I know that carb questions from novice wrenches like me get old but...

I've mentioned here several times that, when it's cold out, my B4 has a bad flat-spot in the 4-5k range.  It got way worse when I went to my modded airbox (which I have since removed and gone back to the stock one).  So, I figure I'm lean on my needles and raise them one notch.  The flat-spot is gone but now I seem really rich - lots of tailpipe soot and it seems to bog every once in a while if it's warm and I'm cruising at that same rpm range (<1/4 throttle).  So, my thought is that I could drop the two inside needles back down and leave 1 and 4 where they are - thinking that the inside cylinders don't get as much cooling and run hotter and therefor need to be leaner.  Does that make ANY sense or am I way out in left field?

Before I do it, I'll pull the plugs and have a look at them but I was just wondering if this was at all reasonable.  I'd love to get on a dyno with a tailpipe sensor too but I don't think I'll have an opportunity b/f the rally.  

Any and all help is appreciated!!!!!!!   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »
insides run leaner because of less air ne to be richer how about a washer for a half a needle raise.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 10:11:34 PM »
Rob have you changed your thermostat to get your engine running at a consistant temp.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 11:23:41 PM »
Quote from: "Thief400"
Rob have you changed your thermostat to get your engine running at a consistant temp.

Nope - what would you suggest?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 11:56:20 PM »
I've never heard of anyone who has staggered the needle settings (diff clips) before but I suppose that it might work.  I can't believe that there would be that big of difference between your carbs.   I would add a shim (half a step) to the leaner running cylinders and see what happens.   It is common for guys to stagger the jetting (i.e. main jets).  The inner cylinders run hotter and therefore can take a slightly larger main to make them run cooler.  If your headers show a pretty even color, that would indicate that they are running about all the same temp.  If you have a couple blue pipes and a couple gold pipes, I would consider doing what I suggested above.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 10:20:11 AM »
Thanks all...  Dave - North American B4s have black coated pipes so, mine are all the same color  :lol: .  

An update:  I rode to work yesterday.  Going home (first 80 degree day of the year - 50 mile trip), it was really bad stumbling all over itself.  I had to run a gear lower to keep the RPMs up above that range.  Assuming the plugs all look about the same, I'm just going back to the middle postion and put-up with the flat spot when it's cool out.  When I get back from the rally, I'll play around with the modded airbox, larger mains and different clip positions.  Right now, I just want reliability for the rally.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 02:21:24 PM »
I just put in 110 mains, with middle clip position... I'll let you know how it goes if my petcock ever arrives.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 03:09:20 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"
I just put in 110 mains, with middle clip position... I'll let you know how it goes if my petcock ever arrives.

What other perf mods do you have - exhaust, airbox, air filter, jet kit...?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 03:36:05 PM »
Full Yoshimura exhaust, K&N air filter and jet kit (I think, it was installed when I bought the bike had 97.5 mains in rather then 102.5 that where stock).

I haven't tinkered with the air box.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
On my old gsxr750, there is a flat spot in the 4K rpm, the problem turns out to be the worn emulsion tube, I have to keep dropping the needle to solve the problem, eventually I decided to junk the dynojet kit and put back the stock jets.
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn