Author Topic: Running issue ~ rpm drops after a blip when in neutral....  (Read 2399 times)

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Running issue ~ rpm drops after a blip when in neutral....
« on: June 15, 2006, 04:06:58 PM »
I'm having a brain fart on this...  but I've just gotten back from my first long-ish shake down ride (104 miles) and noticed that if I bliped the throttle when at a stop in either neutral or with the clutch in, the rpms would drop Well below my set idle and occasionally to the point of dying.  

Not repeatable though ~ doesn't happen every time.

Carbs are throughly clean, all stock with the exception of a couple shims under the needles, fresh o-rings and plugs, floats are all set to the exact same height (I forget what the measurement was, but it was within the specs given), and mixture screws are set at 3 turns out (up from 2.5, WAY too cold-blooded at that setting) ~ runs great, except for being too rich on the main jet (thin air at 6k' in elevation) and the issue mentioned above.  Oh, stock bike otherwise, air filter has been cleaned and reoiled (I've used K&N and Uni filters for a number of years and wouldn't think the filter is over oiled).  

Thoughts?  I'm already headed back into the carbs to put in smaller mains once they arrive.

:thanks:
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 04:21:09 PM »
I'd double check that your clutch isn't dragging slightly. I had a similar problem, went away after re-adjusting the clutch.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 05:10:41 PM »
I actually had this symptom of a dropping rpm after a blip in neutral. It turned out my bike was running too rich! I had to raise the needle position up (dropping the needle lower into the needle jet) using the e-clip. This did the trick. My bike is now leaner than it was before and it runs great down low and there is absolutely no symptom of a dying rpm after I blip the throttle. I hope this helps. It was pretty easy to do to for a carb noob like myself.  :banana: :woot:

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Running issue ~ rpm drops after a blip when in neutral..
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 11:44:34 PM »
...I've just gotten back from my first long-ish shake down ride (104 miles)

Dont mean to hijack your thread Brian, but how was the ride otherwise?  What else needs to be attended to most on your bike?  Just curious, I know you've done alot of work on it.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 02:05:51 AM »
Well, since I've been off a bike for almost 2 years now, I'm kinda having to relearn to ride.  Add to that there are No roads within about 100 miles that have any good corners (not even any marked 45's, I'm in the land of Enginered roads) and I can't really say how well it handles.  though just tossing it through a few side streets, it's Very nimble and I look forward to getting it suitable to ride to better roads.  I like the get up and go, though it's a bit touchy off the line.  It's a physically Tiny bike ~ feels much smaller than a 250 (though I know it's not), and it's nice to see that my short wife can Easily flat-foot the thing.  

As for bike condition, the next major items I need to hit are the chain and sprockets...  I'm going 520 and probably +1 on the front with a stock rear.  It has OEM stuff on there now, and on the First ride of about 16 miles, it kicked off more than half the o-rings...  lol.  Then it's comfort issues, like the bars are bent and I have no bar ends, which leads to me getting a stiff back on one side, and my hands falling asleep.  I need to fix the carbs at some point, and I really ought to replace the spark plugs too.  Then it'll be cosmetic stuff like dying the switchgear back to their Right colors (or possibly adapting late model stuff, I've done that before with Hondas), picking up some Multistrada mirrors w/ indicators and fabbing up an undertail....   Mostly an issue of money right now though ~ I hate to keep sapping my wifes earnings (my business is a bit stagnent ~ just enough work to be self sustaining, but Zero extras).  Especially as we're trying to kill off her rather substantial school loans.

Oh-well, all in good time...  all in good time.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:04:57 PM »
Rich carbs
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 08:21:50 PM »
And hanging for a second or two before returning to idle is lean, correct?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7