Author Topic: Running Lean/Rich?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
Running Lean/Rich?
« on: February 20, 2006, 01:49:45 PM »
Hey guys,

How can I tell if my bike is running lean or rich? I plan on installing a slip on and then deciding if i need to jet the carbs. How can i tell if the bike is running too lean?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Running Lean/Rich?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »
ride it for a while with the slip on , then check your plugs , they should have color to them . more than likely you will have to just shim the jet needles up
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
Running Lean/Rich?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 04:06:06 PM »
hmm, any instructions on how to check the plugs? sorry for such noob questions

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
Running Lean/Rich?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 04:32:15 PM »

Thats a cold - hot scale, but the same applies for mixture.  If they are darker and look like the 'too cold' range above, you're too rich, drop the needles one notch (raise the clip one notch).  If the look like the 'too hot' range above, do the opposite.
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Running Lean/Rich?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 06:43:51 PM »
The above chart seems very handy, but it's resolution is relatively poor (360x147) Does any one have a similar picture but easier to read?

IMHO, The bible.

Another one that helped me immensely.

When you are evaluating your carbs, remember to think in terms of throttle position, not road speed.

This may help:
Place a piece of tape on the throttle housing. Place another piece of tape on the throttle grip and draw a line (while the throttle is at idle) straight across from one piece of tape to the other. When these two lines are lined up, the engine will be idling. Now open the throttle to full throttle and draw another line directly across from it on the throttle housing. At this point, there should be two lines on the throttle housing, and one on the throttle grip. Now find the half-way point between both of the lines on the throttle housing. Make a mark and this will show when the throttle is at half throttle. Divide the spaces up even again until idle, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full throttle positions are known. These lines will be used to quickly find the exact throttle opening while jetting.