Author Topic: Scrubbing in a rear tyre.  (Read 3255 times)

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
Scrubbing in a rear tyre.
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:30:50 AM »
My B4 has got a new rear tyre. How long do you reckon until its properly scrubbed in ?
50 miles ?
100 miles ?
Dont want to come a cropper on it diving into a corner and losing the back end.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Scrubbing in a rear tyre.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:39:17 AM »
Depends how you scrub in your tyres. Id give it 100 and then still take it a bit careful when going hard into corners for the next 100.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:23:29 PM »
Slow and steady. It's not the number of miles, but how you apply those miles (mostly). 100 miles of freeway driving won't do a thing to scrub in anything but the center strip.

Just be aware, progressively push it over farther and farther, a bit at a time. Keep an eye on your chicken strips.

It's always the case, when riding, that pushing it farther is more dangerous. Same thing here.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 11:14:59 PM »
2-3 laps :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:46:17 AM »
Ok. Cheers.

2 to 3 laps !!! I dont think my old girl would thank me for a track session, she'd fall apart.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 10:07:56 AM »
lol was just being a smart ass :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »
Well, she wont be going anywhere for a few days   :annoy:
Got about a mile from the garage and there was a horrible noise and i lost power. Had to push the bloody thing back. Its thrown its drive sprocket, totally threaded the splines. Very bad news at first, ie: engine split to replace it. But after a bit of a chat i agreed that we can weld it back into position, apparently the weld will be strong enough to take the energy being passed through it, its just a case of lining it up so makes a circle as it rotates, not an elipse, if you see what i mean.
I think its time for a new bike, she is starting to show her age, and i cant afford it.

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »
I'm not sure that would be the best idea, but I'm not master welder. It would seem the rotational torque would be too much. How did it get stripped in the first place?

I give my rear tires close to 300 miles before I will start really committing to corners. Overkill, yea it is. But tires kill and I like to know that mine is going to stick when I need it to.
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 02:39:21 PM »
The other problem with welding that thing... you'll have to cut it off to replace the sprocket when it wears out... :bomb: and that means you'll have to crack the case anyway. Better to do it right the first time.

A

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »
I know its a bit of a timebomb, but the bike is 14 years old already and ive had a look at the sprocket, its got a couple of years life left in it yet, so it will probably stay there until the bitter end !!
As for how it happened: I dont know, i assume its been wearing out for a while. Maybe it was the extra HP from a decent tune up  :grin:

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 06:37:14 PM »
Scrubbing in a tire is easy, just go for a ride, no extremes but you can keep the throttle open never the less. After 15 minutes stop and scrub the tires with your finger, if you hear a squealing noise (by then it's most probably only on the sides) you know the protective layer is still there, if you hear nothing it's gone.

Most people don't even need to scrub it in since they have enough grip by riding on the protective layer anyway :stickpoke:

This advice goes for Michelin Pilot Power (2CT) tires. I don't know about other brands or tires. Going to test the new Bridgestone BT-016 soon though :motorsmile: