Author Topic: Squishy forks and what to do...  (Read 2784 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Squishy forks and what to do...
« on: September 13, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »
After locking up the rear brake twice today stopping for a light and going downhill setting up for a corner, I've pretty much determined that squishy forks are only fun on a rough road.

So far I've got 15wt oil and Progressive springs in the fork with the recommended preload as well. I've tried to add more preload but it's damn near impossible to screw the cap back on with another stack of PVC (which is the most ghetto thing ever IMO).

I'm tempted to try using 20wt oil up front and seeing if it will help it out with the brake dive before exploring any more options (re: $$$). I'm open to suggestions as well.

-Randy

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 03:10:28 PM »
Hey Randy - you've got upgraded springs with heavier weight oil, a GSXR shock and you weigh what - 150lbs at most?  IMHO, you shouldn't be "squishy" at all.  I can't imagine your springs are too light for you.  Are you sure you don't have something bent from getting hit that is screwing with your geometry?  Also, your tires are toast.  That can't help.  We ought to get together and switch bikes (preferably after you get new hoops).  Maybe together we can figure it out.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 03:41:51 PM »
Tires might be an issue, I can't imagine the front suspension being soft running those springs and wt oil.  Maybe your rear shock has too much rebound in it?
*When I was taking my bike in to get new tires (mine were old and rock hard) I locked up the rear tire really good right before the shop.  My dad following behind me thought I was showing off...not quite I'd only had my licence for a month or so and used the MSF lessons for sure!*
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 04:27:52 PM »
I'm thinking that the tires definately have something to do with it but twice in two entirely different situations just got me thinking.

It also didn't help that for shits and giggles, I went to Powersports Suzuki just to see what they had and sat on a couple of bikes for ha-has. The sport bike forks were so damn stiff, I could barely make them budge just on the floor. Of course nothing is really set up for anyone but on average usually things are set up for a 165lb rider. Rob, you're being nice when you say I weigh maybe 150. Lately all the time travelling has gotten me to swell to about 155-160.

Eh, dunno. Hopefully some newer stickier tires will instill a bit more confidence. Doing the slide of doom with a guardrail looming wasn't exactly the highlight of my day. I'm also used to a more stiffly sprung car that handles like a go-cart so perhaps I'm a bit biased. Also, the hit was to the rear and things looked pretty straight and true afterwards. The force of impact was taken up by the guy's bumper and the tire. I estimate the "nudge" to have been about 5-7mph. Just enough to rattle me.

I'm hoping in the next week or so to get new tires so maybe one of these weekends we can swap off and see what's what.

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 11:40:43 PM »
stay with the 15 wt add 10 more cc's of fork oil to help the bottoming effect go away if that dont do it add 10 more  but only do this if not satified with the first on and only in incriments of 10 cc's  :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 12:05:51 AM »
I'll give it a shot Jay. BTW the nitrogen a'la whipped cream is still working OK two months after the fact.

Will the increase in volume cause the seals any trouble? I know the progresssive springs displace more than stock and I filled it to the OEM level already.

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 01:14:30 AM »
If you still got the sheet from progressive they give you a minimum and a maximum fluid level ! No wont hurt the seals ! If you go stiffer with fluid yur gonna lose rebound dampning and that really not good shit will come up way slow! Should've bought race tech springs , but we wont go there! :stickpoke:
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 01:16:26 AM »
Good to hear about the whipits! Atleast if it ever leaves ya stranded youll have something to do so your not so pissed! :beers:

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 12:24:26 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
Good to hear about the whipits! Atleast if it ever leaves ya stranded youll have something to do so your not so pissed! :beers:

HA  :lol:
What do you suggest for a street bike, are the progressive springs good for that, I have a FZR400 for the track.  Just wondering.
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 03:29:04 PM »
Race tech springs or Traxxion spring kit if in the US and K-tech if in the UK