Author Topic: Leaking Forks  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Leaking Forks
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:47:47 PM »
the stanchions of my forks have oil on them, as if oil is getting out through the seals.  Got the seals replaced but not sure if theyre the right ones or if the mechanic did it right.

The stanchions are mildly and i mean mildly pitted with like 4 barely visible pits on each stanchion.  i know pitting causes leakage but mine are leaking more than the tiny amount of pitting should cause in my opinion.

I think ill just get some more seals an do them myself, then take it from there.

Anyone any suggestions or knowledge of things to watch for?
And anyone know of a good guide to working on forks?
Never done it before but it cant be that hard right? lmao

cheers
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Leaking Forks
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
you can also remove the seals, take the springs out of them (out of the seals), cut a few mm's of it so they are shorter, click the ends together like it was when you removed them and reïnsert them in the seals.
put everything back together and the seals will probably be better  :beers:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Leaking Forks
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:04:34 PM »
wow thats a new one , do them you self and rube your tube with fine steel wool with some fork oil on it where the pits are till no finger nail catches it then when you get them all apart look at the bronze bushing these are what take the grunt of the force when you are stoping starting hittting bumps thats prolly your problem along with the pits!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Leaking Forks
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:06:16 PM »
some where on the 400 part is a old traxxion dynamic mechanisc wich is a performance suspensioon shop he should be answering all the fork question havent heard from him in a minute!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol