Author Topic: Shock Replacement  (Read 7917 times)

Offline dpgasser

• TURBO TYPER!
Shock Replacement
« on: March 17, 2005, 02:14:28 PM »
I just received my new Hagon shock for my B4.  I have referenced the shop manual, but it does not address removing the shock alone, only the whole rear suspension system (including the swingarm).  But on a quick inspection, it looks as though I can just remove the top and bottom shock mounts and drop the shock out from the bottom?  Please tell me that it is this simple!  I'm sure others on this board have replaced their shock.

On a side note, I will also be taking my forks to Race Tech sometime in April to have them re-worked.  Hope to see a dramatic improvement in the handling department in the next couple of months.

Thanks for any and all advice, Dave.

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 02:24:52 PM »
One off the things you'll have to do is to remove one of the rearsets to get at the bolt on the swingarm. Everything else is pretty straightforward.
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 03:10:04 PM »
Zhi, I'm pretty sure I was able to get mine off without taking off either bracket.  I had my brackets off at roughly the same time so maybe that's why I didn't notice but I'm pretty sure I took them off later.  

Anyway, I just swapped mine a month or so ago.  You just need to get the bike high enough to allow a great enough angle between the swingarm and the frame to make room for the shock to come out.  Once I figured that out, it was a piece of cake!   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline dpgasser

• TURBO TYPER!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 03:21:54 PM »
Thanks for the replys... Rob, what do you mean by "get the bike high enough"?  Did you have to jack up the rear end?  Or did you strap up the rear of the bike and raise it from ceiling beams?  Like to know exactly what I am getting into before I start.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 03:35:07 PM »
Dave, I waited 'til it was time for a rear tire swap so I had the wheel off.  I don't have a center stand so I had a rig with a bottle jack under the oil pan (with some straps on the bars just for a little lateral support.).  I just noticed that if I dropped the s/a to the floor and gave a couple extra pumps on the jack, the shock falls right out.  If you still have the center stand, that's probably enough.  I always forget about that because I don't have one.  

Basically: wheel off, something supporting the bike other than a s/a stand, unbolt it and it's off.  Piece of cake.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline dpgasser

• TURBO TYPER!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 04:58:41 PM »
Thanks Rob...I do still have the center stand and it is time for a tire change, so I will do it all at the same time.  I hope it goes as easy as it sounds.

Dave.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 05:02:27 PM »
Oh, one other thing.... careful use of a propane torch to loosen up the nuts, was very helpful.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Shock Replacement
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 06:33:16 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Oh, one other thing.... careful use of a propane torch to loosen up the nuts, was very helpful.

You only have to get the nut to about 400 degrees to release the thread locker used at the factory

Offline dpgasser

• TURBO TYPER!
Thanks!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 06:51:29 PM »
Thanks for the help fellas, I got the Hagon shock installed without complication.  New shock + new tires = One hell of a better ride!  The bike is way more planted...bumps that would have me out of the seat before are being soaked up almost without notice.  I can't wait to address the forks!  Once that is finished, the only concern will be ground clearance.

Dave.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 03:56:29 PM »
Glad it worked out.

Why are you worried about ground clearance?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline dpgasser

• TURBO TYPER!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 07:44:32 PM »
I mean that the bike will handle so well, there will be a concern about the lack of ground clearance.  Not exactly rearsets on the B4, I'm sure pegs will be dragging!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Shock Replacement
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 07:52:44 PM »
There's always the option of rearsets...
Wild Hair still shows a listing for Gimbel rearsets for the B4.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Re: Thanks!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 08:21:19 PM »
Quote from: "dpgasser"
Thanks for the help fellas, I got the Hagon shock installed without complication.  New shock + new tires = One hell of a better ride!  The bike is way more planted...bumps that would have me out of the seat before are being soaked up almost without notice.  I can't wait to address the forks!  Once that is finished, the only concern will be ground clearance.

Dave.

I wouldn't worry about the ground clearance, the first thing to touch down is the right peg, but if you have the BALLS big enough to get it over that far you will notice that you could also touch your elbow to the tarmac.  The pipe is next to touch.

Offline dpgasser

• TURBO TYPER!
Shock Replacement
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 01:51:09 PM »
Thanks Paul, I didn't think that there was an option of rearsets for the B4.  Glad to know that this is available.

I haven't really pushed the B4 yet, but I had a GS500 track bike with rearsets and I would still at times drag the pegs in certain turns.  I figured that the B4 would have the same concerns, especially with the stock peg placement.

This guy looks like he is dragging a peg and isn't leaned over too far:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Shock Replacement
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 08:01:51 PM »
I dunno, looks like if he leaned any further, he wouldn't have any tire contact.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)