Author Topic: Shocking discovery inside my carb.  (Read 2981 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Shocking discovery inside my carb.
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »
So I pulled the carb apart to change the needle jets. When I looked at the beige slide holders I discovered one of them has actually worn right through?!?!?!?! I changed them all with the slide holders from my spare carb... but man, no wonder the NJ wore so quickly.

Freaky stuff, I'll post pictures later.

Anyways she went from running rich everywhere to running lean (even after changing the needle clips, closing off the extra air holes, and adding a load of oil to the air filter). It was funny, the first run after switching the NJs the bike wouldn't pull past 4k, I got some funny looks doing 20km/h driving around the block. Then I turned on the choke and swosh it ran great.... Just a few more minor tweaks (lean at 6k and 8k) and I'll be set. I can't wait to see how much my gas milage goes up (it was pretty terrible).
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Shocking discovery inside my carb.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »
Bikes fixed and now its gonna rain for the next 4 days.
You can see spots where the plastic has worn through on the left hand size. I guess 50,000 km of mostly city driving will do that?????

Oblong needle jet wear... I'm almost embarrassed to post that. It got so bad I had to pray when stopped on a hill for a set of lights. Rev it up and do a clutch drop.

Another shot showing the wear.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:27:33 PM by interfuse »
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »
Holy crap Mike!

Maybe just go right to flatslides? I thought it was wierd when my slides were worn where you couldn't see the molding dots but that takes the cake. Those emulsion tubes are TOAST, how do the needles look?

You should send a pic to Factory Pro.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
you'll be famous!

Wow. So here's the question: are those parts even available anymore? I've got three spares left and didn't see them listed at bikebandit. I don't think there is even a part number shown.

That slide carrier might be a good candidate for some experimenting eh?

A

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »
Slide carriers are only available with the carbs.

I'm sure some judicious searching may reveal otherwise but that's what I've heard and found.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »
The NJ wear looks even worse in real life then it does in the pictures.

I started thinking about Gary's carb swap when I went to the mikuni dealer and asked for NJs, they said "they can't sell oem parts and you have to goto the dealer". I'm gonna keep my eyes open -- I'm not thrilled with the CVs. I've got enough carb tuning experience now I could probably get flatslides running pretty good and I'd be able to get tuning parts from the mikuni dealer.

Surprisingly the needles looked good. They still had a dull finish everywhere but where the white spacer touches the needle. I'm not sure if I ever posted the needle wear I had with the dynojet kit, but one of those needles nearly cut itself in two... I should send the pictures to factorypro, not sure why my bike eats carb parts for breakfast... maybe they could shed some light on it.

And tomacGTi is correct, the slide holders were never available separately. You would have had to buy a new carb to get them. $$$$$. There's lots of those parts out there though. GS500, katanas, some gsxrs, drz, f650's have all ran the mikuni bst33 at various points in time... I'm sure a quick trip to the scrapyard would net you some slideholders.

Mike

'91 GSF400