Author Topic: Slow revs on new bandit  (Read 2296 times)

Offline 96gti8v

• New user!
Slow revs on new bandit
« on: September 26, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »
Finally got the bandit up and runnig after original owner downed it. Cleaned carbs, new battery, stator cover and some fresh oil and she fired right up. Only problem is when u der throlttle, the revs climb very slowly, drop a little and climb again slowly even under wot, til it hits about 6-7k rpm then breaks free and spins as it should til about 13-14k (limiter). What direction should i be looking here? Fouled plugs? Carb sync? Not sure where to go from here. The bike idles perfectly. Thabks for pointers.

Offline androo

• New user!
Re: Slow revs on new bandit
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:55:25 AM »
I have the exact same problem... sorry this isnt a solution... but i was told that it could be something to do with the carb float levels. Apparently 0-6000 rmp is controlled by the float levels.

Offline mosquito

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:41:00 AM »
I'll take some uneducated guesses:

- Sounds like your float levels and carb synch are 'close enough'.  The float levels being off would make the mixture be generally wrong all of the time and it wouldn't idle very well without having the carbs decently synched.

- Probably not fouled plugs, but if you have a suspicion, check and/or replace them.  How many miles on these plugs?  The bike?

- When you cleaned the carbs, did you check or replace the needles?  What's their condition?  Any worn / shiny spots?  How 'bout the diaphrams?

Knowing nothing else, I'll guess you have badly worn needles and when you open the throttle the mixture becomes very rich (and you smell fuel in the exhaust).

Offline 96gti8v

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
Plugs were replaced right before the PO dumped (less than 2 mo ago), but I know gas can foul a plug quickly, but i ruled out fouled plugs since nothing is misfiring.

The carbs were rebuilt from the ground up, new needles, floats, jets, etc, so im leaning towards sync since I asked the PO if this was done, and he simply gave me a bewildered look like he had no idea what I was talking about (which im pretty positive he didnt  :rofl:)

Again, leaning towards a sync issue as well since the bike is running rich.

Thanks for the replys!