Author Topic: Hello, and a few questions  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Lippy

• New user!
Hello, and a few questions
« on: March 21, 2006, 12:51:05 AM »
Hi, first off great site and a ton of info here.  I am helping a friend put together a neglected b4 and was hoping for a little help in some areas.

We installed a new ignition, and everything is perfect except when we turn on the key, the starter starts to engage and will only stop when we turn the key off.  I took the starter swith apart so it was not making contact and it still engages the starter when you turn the key to on.  I really don't want to dig into wiring if I don't have to and was wondering if there is any other quick suggestions as to remedy this?  :thanks:

Is it possible to rebuild the petcock, or do you know of any other bikes with the same one?  

Where do you get your airfilters?

I took apart the carbs and cleaned them, what is the stock settings for the screws?

I think that is it for now, any help appreciated.

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 11:56:31 AM »
Nice lift and workspace. I'd love to have something like that.

I've gotten my air filters from Suzuki. There's another thread here recently and info in the FAQs on replacing with pod filters if you want to do that.
:welcome:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 03:53:03 PM »
:welcome:

For the filter, the other option is K&N.  You can find them on Ebay for <$60 IIRC.  For the OEM, try the Bike Bandit link at the bottom of the page.  They're usually a little cheaper than local dealerships.

I don't think the petcock is rebuildable.  They're notorious on these things.  Seach this forum.  There's plenty of posts.  Again IIRC, I think someone found a better deal than Bike Bandit for the tap but I don't remember where.  

You can d/l a manual for the bike from the member's forum.  Double check but I THINK the stock screw setting is out 1.75 turns.

+1 on the nice workspace.  I'll bet my back wouldn't hurt nearly as bad if I had one of those lifts.  Maybe I should petition my insurance to get one for me!!!!!!!   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Lippy

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 07:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

We're going to order the petcock and a few other odds and ends.  As far as the starter is concerned do you know if there is a relay of some sort that may be shorted out?  When I was putting the carbs back I managed to bend one of main needles, so I won't be able to try to run it until I get a replacement.

One more thing, the gas cap assembly we had to manhandle it off and are looking for a replacement.  I've been looking at part numbers but just wondering if most suzuki bikes use the same type?

Thanks again  :beers:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:48:25 PM »
Sorry - no idea on the starter.

Yes - Most Zuks use the same bolt pattern for the gas cap.  I've got one from an SV.  I wasn't capable of switching the locks so I carry two keys which is a pain.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Lippy

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:51:32 PM »
Well we got the starter sorted out, so we are getting close to see if she will run.  

That's good news with the gas cap, we will probably throw the cap on there from my sv, and we can pick one up on ebay or something.  Thanks again.

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 12:43:17 AM »
Sorry, would've helped you out with the starter sooner, but I just saw the post now...  Was it the switch or the solenoid under the seat?

I just got a new petcock from mrcycles.com  Decent price, ~$63 IIRC

Pilot screws - 2 to 2.5 is a good starting point.

Welcome to the board.  Hope it goes well.
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline Lippy

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 01:32:12 AM »
Actually I started at the solenoid and checked all the connections with a meter and simply found that the previous owner had spliced two random wires together bypassing the switch and making the starter turn as soon as the key was on.

Anyone have a spare jet needle around that I could take off your hands?  I bent one and probably won't get another for a couple of weeks, and I want to see if this baby will run.

Thanks again folks

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 03:40:02 AM »
Yep, I got one.
I just rejetted my bike with a FactoryPro kit so I have stock needles I'm not using.  You can have one.  It will cost you though, by posting  pictures of your bike when your done :grin:  

Contact me off list.

Duane

Offline Lippy

• New user!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 02:33:59 PM »
Quote from: "duane"
Yep, I got one.
I just rejetted my bike with a FactoryPro kit so I have stock needles I'm not using.  You can have one.  It will cost you though, by posting  pictures of your bike when your done :grin:  

Contact me off list.

Duane

Sent you an email. Thanks.

Offline Lippy

• New user!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 01:08:32 AM »
It's alive.

We got the carbs put back together and on the bike, thanks Duane for the needle, sprayed some starter fluid and listened to it run for a few seconds.  It's a great feeling when you buy a bike that is non running and get to hear that motor fire up :banana:

How can people let these things sit and rot, a little bit of care is all that is needed.

I'm not sure what oil capacity is but when we changed the oil atleast 5 qts came out if not a little more.

We are currently kreeming the tank and should have that on the bike by Thursday or Friday, then we can fully play with carbs and get it to run just right.

Couple of more questions:
Where do you get your chains the cheapest?
Can I run a 120 front tire. or will it really pinch the profile?
Anyone have a stock brake lever and a left grip they don't need?

Thanks

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 06:13:02 AM »
It's good to hear her rumble to life, isn't it?   :beers:

I've got a reasonably low mile (<5k), well cared for chain I'll sell cheaply in a week or two.  I have a 520 conversion on it's way.  PM me if you're interested.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gunter

• Board Regular!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 01:39:53 PM »
5 Qts of oil= bad petcock!  :sad:

Mine went bad last summer causing the interesting phenomenon of the oil (mixed with gas) level increasing over time...

good luck!

Offline Lippy

• New user!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 05:00:27 PM »
Quote from: "gunter"
5 Qts of oil= bad petcock!  :sad:

Mine went bad last summer causing the interesting phenomenon of the oil (mixed with gas) level increasing over time...

good luck!

Could be.  I really think the previous owner saw only black in the sight glass and just kept adding oil.

You ever get up north?