Author Topic: rear shocks here adjustable  (Read 3692 times)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
rear shocks here adjustable
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:21:06 AM »
Man,there is a slew of cheap,late model GSXR shock for sale right now,many brandnew.
This is the exact shock I swapped in last week.Damn near a drop in,just a little flash grinding on the B4 rocker,and relocated the coolant res.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07-GSXR-600-750-Rear-Spring-Shock-OEM-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ250098909469QQcategoryZ35592QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 07:54:46 AM »
Thats the shock I used on mine a couple of years ago

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
Oooo, that Fox Shock is nice, wonder how high it'll climb in the next 3 days?
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 12:47:05 AM »
Quote from: "JmuRiz"
Oooo, that Fox Shock is nice, wonder how high it'll climb in the next 3 days?

sold for mad :taz:  money!
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:41:31 AM »
^^^

Wowzers, no kidding!  :annoy:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
Damn...  glad I only paid $200 for mine.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 11:47:56 PM »
Screw that,I got my whole 750 USD front end last week for less money.

Go for an 06' rear shock.
It might be stock,but its far,far less money,brandnew tech and its damn near a bolt on.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 01:03:48 AM »
Oh what I wouldn't give to lose my knowledge of suspension/shocks and think that "stock" on anything was worth something more than a placeholder so you can trailer the bike home and fix/replace it.  

Ignorance truely is bliss...
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 01:22:37 AM »
Its a hell of a lot better than the 15 year old,non adjustable B4 shock it replaced.....and it was almost 10 times less money than someone paid for that Fox.Im happy with a modest,cost effective upgrade.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 07:53:50 AM »
Quote from: "BrianM"
Oh what I wouldn't give to lose my knowledge of suspension/shocks and think that "stock" on anything was worth something more than a placeholder so you can trailer the bike home and fix/replace it.  

Ignorance truely is bliss...

true on both accounts there lol

zaptoman

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 12:08:58 AM »
What is the advantage to doing this?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 12:35:31 AM »
better suspension a little more ride height in the rear ( but you don't want to go to much  Brian can explain this better than i can I'm just not afraid to tinker at the track some things work some don't . I make big changes on my shocks when i change stuff 2-3 turns then fine tune i was always told get the sag right and set the adjusters in the middle and make sure it goes up and down equally) bike will turn better but with a lose of high speed stability. Go on Brian take over :stickpoke:

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 11:24:44 AM »
Advantages.....  the stock shock on any B4 out there was most likely sprung for someone who's 110lbs, and I've never seen a stock shock from a 90's bike that wasn't drastically under dampened.  So with a quality aftermarket shock, you get the means to use the Right spring for your weight (related to sag without abusing the preload, and keeping the bike from squatting while coming out of a corner, which means you can keep a nice tight line), and can adjust both the compression and rebound damping through internal (major adjustments) and external (fine tuning) adjustments.  This means that you can get the shock to work properly and keep the rear tire on the ground, better able to deliver power, accept braking or cornering stresses.  And finally, you're able to set the ride height to get the optimal swingarm angle (which is most likely just shy of 11* when unloaded) for the best handling.

I'm very much not a fan of stock shocks and those swaps because they Can be dangerous and way too many people make the swap without knowing even the basics of what kind of spring rate they're going from and to.  They just look for something that Kinda fits, and make it fit.  Not all shock linkages (actually, very few) use the same progressive compression ratio, and some don't use linkage at all.  So while the shock make feel alright at a standstill, it could get WAY too soft/walloy when compressed, or it may not compress much at all which will lead to piss-poor efficiency (and efficiency is what motorcycling is all about) that can lead to crashing.  

But that's also why I said what I did above about ignorance being bliss...  I've evperienced the best, know what it Should feel like and just how good that is.  I could never go backwards and be happy now, and would most likely never ride anywhere Near as hard for fear of a poorly performing shock.  Most riders don't get to really experience the best available, and thus they only know the best that they have experienced and have no idea of just what they're missing.

I get the feeling is also comes down to personality.  Some people want to do things right, others want to do things right now.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »
A little less than a year ago I picked this up shock on Ebay too.  I believe it was a little more than $400.00 including shipping.  It was on an 91 GSXR 750 .  The model isn't nearly that important, the important thing was that it was the proper (stock) distance from eye to eye.  

Shocks with onborad reservoirs don't fit the 400B.  (Or maybe I should say, "Don't fit well".)  That's why I got this remote reservoirs.

See that tiny seam on the linkage?  I had to grind that down.  I got a little carried away and took off more than I had to.  But just the part in the red is all I should have done.  

Like Brian said, the chances of getting a shock with the correct spring were unlikely.  This spring is for a 180 lbs rider and I'm 130.  I can only do what I can do, so I set the proper sag and called it a day.  I'll have the local suspension shop install the correct spring when I have the money.