Author Topic: B4 gearbox??  (Read 3635 times)

Offline ReApEr66

• TURBO TYPER!
B4 gearbox??
« on: October 08, 2005, 11:25:51 AM »
Hi My bandit seems to be stuffed, my mechanic said id need a new engine,
but id rather not pay £450 for an engine.
The only thing that seems wrong with it is its missing 2nd gear  :shock: . so i was trying to get a new gearbox for it,

Found one on ebay but its variable-valve.

would the  gearbox off a GSF400vv bandit or atleast some parts from it fit into a  GSF400 1989 jap import???

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 01:28:45 PM »
From my understanding the difference in the VV models is soley in the cylinder head. As long as the donor engine is a GK73a then the transmission -should- swap out. The GSXR transmissions are close ratio, too, which would be nice.  :grin:

Ask gsxr400race for confirmation.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 05:08:24 PM »
maybe find a better mechanic?
you'll need one to put the internals properly into the tranny anyway
I had to give up and have a mechanic finish opening my tranny.  It's a 91 and it was stuck shut. A special tool is needed to open it up, plus if it is an old engine its probably going to be very difficult to open up.
new gears are only around $60US each from suzuki
but you probably have more than 1 gear down if you've been riding it with 2nd slipping for some time.  How old is your bike? 2 new gears will propably be cheaper and more reliable than a used tranny that will probably start slipping in 2nd again anyway.

Offline ReApEr66

• TURBO TYPER!
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 07:23:20 PM »
My bike is the 89 model.

I can get a second hand gearbox from about £20 - £40 , just to tide me over, untill i can get a proper set from suzuki or some other place,

Im looking at doing the swap myself, ive got a mechanicly minded friend, and im not to bad myself,
 I work with lots of engineering facilities, would it be possible to make this "special device" or possible to buy?
 i dont wont to have to pay a mechanic 3 hours labour for something i can do and learn from.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 07:45:53 PM »
It can be done, probally, but here's something to keep in mind:

The engine casing is in two pieces, you will need to split these apart to get to the transmission. The engine casing is -only- in two pieces, meaning you are going to be disassembing just about the entire motor to get to the transmission. I highly recommend finding a service manual at the very least!

2008 GSXR-750

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 01:30:38 PM »
cases come apart with out taking the top end apart! need special puller for the fly wheel ! dont for get the bolts behind the oil filter
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 02:03:39 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
cases come apart with out taking the top end apart! need special puller for the fly wheel ! dont for get the bolts behind the oil filter

I wasn't sure if they did or not, the manual shows the case apart only with the cylinders removed. I figured it probally could be done, but didn't want to say for sure.  :grin:

I suppose you just have to flip the engine upside down and lift the lower half off, right?

2008 GSXR-750

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 04:56:43 PM »
Quote from: "ReApEr66"
My bike is the 89 model.

I can get a second hand gearbox from about £20 - £40 , .

I have a b4 tranny in great shape i sell ya and ship for that 40 pounds cheers jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline ReApEr66

• TURBO TYPER!
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 08:27:21 PM »
Well i just bought a gearbox for £6 lol, ill see if it works alright or if its in alright condition at the least,
if not then ill think about it, maybe just replace the gears, not sure, think the whole lot is on its way out,
the gears are really falling to bits, i get overtaken by peds quite a bit now while im  looking like a fool
 jumping all over my bike trying to get it into half of 3rd and then 4th. its quite a site really :motorsmile: .

mite just get a new engine for £450  ( although £6  - £40 ) is alot cheaper, and more fun.

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
B4 gearbox??
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 12:05:40 AM »
yeah its all on the bottom
i didn't touch the top

with some funky extensions and hex sockets
I was able to get to everything
a special puller is needed like jay said
beyond that some heat and penetrating oil
and you should be alright

let us know how it goes