Author Topic: B4 FRONT END SWAPS!  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Ban_bigman

• Board Regular!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« on: August 18, 2005, 03:44:02 PM »
I have read alot of threads on here about the gsxr750 front end swaps and I have also seen some on the katana fronts so was wondering if one was any better than the other as far as easy done.  I am no mechanic and I will probably just have my front end redone and add the gsxr rear shock to mine.  I would like your thoughts and comments. Also haveing trouble with my brake light burns well but does not light up when brakes applied (front or rear).   :grin:  :thanks:

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 04:11:01 PM »
Sounds like you might want to check the electrical connections at the light, just remove the rear seat and look for anything thats loose. It could also be the bulb, there are two filements in the brake light, one for the running light and one for the brake light.  :grin:

Dunno if if the GSXR front end is better than the Katana, but I'm going to take a guess and say it is. The GSXR is a higher end bike, although both are better than the stock forks (The GSXR forks are USD, which look trick as all hell. Dunno about the Katana forks). The hardest thing with the GSXR Forks appears to be the steering stops, they are different and require a small amount of grinding to remove the old ones, and a little bit of welding to add new ones. Should be able to mark off where you want the new ones, take them to a local metal shop, and have them do it for you.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 06:26:26 AM »
I'm wondering..:
I've read the topic in the 250/400 FAQ and it surprised me a little that the front forks of a b6 are never mentioned.

Do they fit?
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 08:40:22 AM »
The thing to remember about f/e swaps is it is easier if you do the WHOLE thing - triples, stems, forks, wheel, fender, brakes...  Otherwise you have to worry about the spacing of the forks and the shims on the wheel....  

I think the reason the B6 isn't mentioned is because it's not seen as much of an upgrade.  The same could be said for that of the SV650.  I think they are attractive simply for dual front brakes.

On the tail light thing, it's either wiring (probably right at the light) or more likely a burt filament.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 10:16:19 AM »
Quote from: "Farre"
I'm wondering..:
I've read the topic in the 250/400 FAQ and it surprised me a little that the front forks of a b6 are never mentioned.

Do they fit?

Probably but they're pretty shitty aswell, why would you bother.
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 10:53:50 AM »
Quote from: "Farre"
I'm wondering..:

They have REAR forks as well?!?!?!

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 11:15:04 AM »
[sigh]
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 01:22:28 PM »
Quote from: "billybandit"

Yep, some people call it a swingarm though but it is in the shape of a fork :wink:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 07:53:45 PM »
Quote from: "Herr Tod"
Quote from: "billybandit"

Yep, some people call it a swingarm though but it is in the shape of a fork :wink:

I've heard that HD calls the swingarm the rear fork...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 09:37:47 PM »
Most engineers do. Anyway, I'm getting my GSXR 750 and RGV 250 forks next week. Expect some pics soon :bigok: Just need a rim and the brakes from a Busa to complete the front end.

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 12:17:53 AM »
are 1991 gsxr 750 front ends a "direct swap"?  Can i just use the gsxr bearings?

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 02:31:04 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
On the tail light thing, it's either wiring (probably right at the light) or more likely a burt filament.

Or if it's as bright as if the brake were being applied, it wouldn't get brighter when the brake IS applied, so one could look at lubing the brake light switch behind the rear brake pedal.  

Just follow the pedal to the little "plunger thing" behind the pedal.  Then take some WD-40 and spray the ever loving crap out of it, while moving the pedal up and down.  Bet the light gets dimmer, but brightens when the brake is applied...
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
B4 FRONT END SWAPS!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 07:11:51 AM »
Quote from: "doqq"
are 1991 gsxr 750 front ends a "direct swap"?  Can i just use the gsxr bearings?

Bearings are the same, steering stems are the same. Some other details are the steering stoppers which you'll need to weld on the lower triple plate. You'll have to get raised clipons or turn the clipons so they don't touch the fuel tank. You'll need to weld the steering lock so it's about 10 mm longer. You'll be able to mount the cockpit by two bolts if you do some bending here and there. You'll also need brackets and clamps for the headlight. The speedo cable is different as well so you'll need a GSXR one. That's all :lol: