Author Topic: Prime position on fuel petcock?  (Read 7548 times)

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
Prime position on fuel petcock?
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:47:12 PM »
Well last week I ran out of gas for the first time with the Bandit. Being used to a Honda Rebel, I casually pulled over, found the petcock, and turned to reserve. Of course it wouldn't start no matter how hard I made the starter work. After searching I was able to find out the info about how these vacuum powered lines need to be primed if they're run dry. I see no ''prime'' position on the petcock although in past discussions it has been said to be with the petcock pointing upwards. The only issue with this is that there is a small screw on the petcock that hinders it from being turned past reserve. Does this screw need to be removed in order to prime or is the prime position just a fantasy? Thanks for any info that you Bandit veterans can provide.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 12:04:11 AM »
Remove the screw and you're good to go.  :beers:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:11:43 AM »
Nate, if you remove the screw to prime, be sure and put it back in before you ride.  That is the only thing that holds the valve from falling out (other than the friction of the orings).  Don't ride with out the screw, the valve could fall out and then you would have at least a gas soaked leg and possibly a fire (or as we say in Ford/GM speak, thermal incident).

You should not really need to prime it to get it started.  Just put the choke on full and don't give it any throttle.  If you open the throttle any, it can't create enough vacuum to open the valve.  Should catch after 10 or 15 seconds of cranking like this.

Glad you have been enjoying it.

Russ
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 12:43:51 AM »
Quote from: Racerruss-ducati
Nate, if you remove the screw to prime, be sure and put it back in before you ride.  That is the only thing that holds the valve from falling out (other than the friction of the orings).  Don't ride with out the screw, the valve could fall out and then you would have at least a gas soaked leg and possibly a fire (or as we say in Ford/GM speak, thermal incident).

Great, make me paranoid as my replacement (I had some sort of non-stock item when I bought the bike) had no screw, and I'd seen no mention to a Need for replacing that screw in the other discussions.  Plus, inspecting the new unit before installing it, the whole thing looked sealed, with just a threaded hole for a screw (and no real reason for it to be there).  

Now I'll have to throughly inspect that bugger when I rejet the carbs here in a few days.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 12:46:21 AM »
On my petcock the prime screw (the screw above of the reserve mark) doesn't do anything other then prohibit the turning of the valve to prime (my bike never came with one, my replacement petcock never came with one).  

However don't remove the little bottom screw (the one under the on position), as it holds the valve in place.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 08:45:32 AM »
OK, mabye we are talking about two different things.  I think Nate's bike only has the screw in the bottom of the petcock.  I don't remember seeing another screw on the petcock or a position labeled "prime".  I am sure that the bottom screw holds the valve in position because it was loose when I got the bike and the petcock fell out while I was trying to figure out why it was hard to turn.

Sorry about the confusion, and, of course, it is still possible that I am mistaken about the prime position since I don't have it to look at any longer.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 09:05:17 AM »
Prime is straight up on the petcock.  On the stock one, there is a horizontal screw that physically blocks it from moving to the prime positon.  That screw doesn't seem to be included on the replacement part from Zuk (although the threaded hole is there).
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:21:41 AM »
Quote from: Racerruss-ducati
OK, mabye we are talking about two different things.  I think Nate's bike only has the screw in the bottom of the petcock.  I don't remember seeing another screw on the petcock or a position labeled "prime".  I am sure that the bottom screw holds the valve in position because it was loose when I got the bike and the petcock fell out while I was trying to figure out why it was hard to turn.

Sorry about the confusion, and, of course, it is still possible that I am mistaken about the prime position since I don't have it to look at any longer.

Yep, theres another one in there. The prime position isn't labeled, but the screw I was talking about is in the face of the petcock, right beside where it says RES (or RESRV or RESV cant remember). I'll tinker with it later and make sure that it doesn't anchor the petcock to anything. And good lord that thing is impossible to turn while on the bike with a glove. I'm guessing you weren't able to find any way to lube the seals or anything?

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »
Ok, my bad.  As far as it being hard to turn, there is one of the ears broken off of the petcock, which won't help anything from a leverage point of view.  I did not do anthing to try and free up the valve when I had it apart, so you may be able to grease it or something to make it better.  If you want to take it out, the screw on the bottom is the one to try, and like I said before, it will leak fuel when you take it out.  It may not be a bad idea to replace the complete valve to free everything up.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track