Author Topic: Sparkplugs fouling  (Read 3601 times)

Offline SA75

• New user!
Sparkplugs fouling
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »
Hi

I hope I have not missed this topic on the forums.

I have recently acquired a 1990 B4. I rode it from where I bought it (roughly 100 miles) without any hassles but since using it around town I have had to change plugs twice due to the plugs dying and this happening in a space of 2 weeks. It also ends up not wanting to idle when the engine has warmed up. Is this due to the carbs being set too rich, or o rings not being in good condition? Will it help synchronising the carbs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Sparkplugs fouling
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum :beers:

I would start with giving it a service if you haven't already. Unless you have records or completely trust the last owner you'll have little/no clue as to when it was last attended to.

So yes, I would start by checking the valve clearances, then adjusting the carbs sync. :thumb:

Does sound to be running too rich, but this may be sorted by just doing the above.
Doing short runs around town on a regular basis isn't good for your engine. The constant stop start and the fact it won't get upto propper working temprature on a run will all have effects on the engine and fueling.

Bullet5.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
You probably need new emulsion tube o-rings for the carbs. It seems to be a common problem for the B4's. Just go buy a carb rebuild kit and replace all the rubber gaskets in your carbs. From what I've read it fixes it right up.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »
Pneumatic spark plug cleaner is a smart investment when you have shitty carbs... I would know.. :trustme:

Offline SA75

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:11:06 AM »
Thanks for the advice all. I will be spending some time with her this weekend and see if I can get her sorted. I will post the outcome.

Offline SA75

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »
Allright, so I started her up again this weekend before doing anything and she's running fine! The cylinder that was dead before was #4. So, since she's running ok, I took her for a ride and no hassles. The following day she also behaved well until I started her for the third time that day. Suddenly # 2 is now not firing. Can anyone explain this by any chance? Can it still be due to rich running, or is it something more sinister like water in the fuel? Thanks for the help sofar.

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »
Pics always help!
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline SA75

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:31:59 AM »
Turned out to be the battery. Although it was swinging the motor just fine, it seems that it was not strong enough to give a decent spark through to the plugs. I charged the battery Friday and have not had any hassles since. Riding short distances daily will probably mean that I'll have to charge the battery regularly. Many thanks for all the suggestions and help.