Author Topic: Sprocket offset with wider rear wheels  (Read 4810 times)

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Sprocket offset with wider rear wheels
« on: July 07, 2007, 12:37:23 AM »
For those who have or are seriously considering a wider rear wheel on their B4, I have a question:

Assuming a swingarm upgrade, will the switch to a wider rear wheel, which will likely move the rear sprocket outboard, create a problem with the front and rear sprockets being out of line in relation to each other?  I'm thinking this won't be too much of a problem, provided the degree of offset is, say 5 degrees or less.  My friend, however, insists that I will also have to space the front sprocket outward to align the two.  I'm thinking of going with maybe a 5" or 5.5" rear wheel if I possibly can.  Will this cause any damage to the sprockets and chain?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 01:23:23 AM »
Im running a 160 rear tire on the stock B4 wheel and its absolutely as wide as possible without the tire touching the chain.
Anything wider and youll have to start moving things out,although a new wheel will take care of the rear sproket.Im not sure how much room there is on the output shaft to space the front sproket out to match.Its never good to have the sprokets out of alignment,it causes undue wear,parasitic draw,noise and its just plain dangerous.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 07:59:18 AM »
Quote from: "turbofb"
I'm running a 160 rear tire on the stock B4 wheel and its absolutely as wide as possible without the tire touching the chain.
Anything wider and you'll have to start moving things out, although a new wheel will take care of the rear sprocket. I'm not sure how much room there is on the output shaft to space the front sprockets out to match. Its never good to have the sprockets out of alignment, it causes undue wear, parasitic draw, noise and its just plain dangerous.

lol not much room to space outwards you run into the frame i run 520 chain and sprockets am currently and have been for 3 + years 15 mm off on chain alignment, (yes i race like that leaves a lot of shiny aluminum flakes and wears sprockets and chains like mad , would i do it on a bigger bike? hell no) i run a 2002 gsxr 750 rear wheel with a 180 tire not the ideal wheel to use, center hub of wheel is to wide unlike older gsxr wheels that have a smaller hub center with a fat sprocket carrier that can be milled nicely. I can almost get the 15mm out of my hub but that is going to leave it pretty thin ( again would i do it on a big bike, hell no) but i think it will be OK and i have 2 hubs anyway. so all im trying to accomplish is a little less wear and tare on my equipment. As for the the chain hitting my tire its going to be close but i think I will be OK. There are tons of older Suzuki's that came with 4.5 and 5.0 rear wheels, when i worked in a classic bike shop these where the wheels of choice for most wheel upgrades, you just have to do some research.
cheers just my 2 cents
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol