Author Topic: Front Fork Seal problems  (Read 4388 times)

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« on: February 05, 2006, 03:00:11 PM »
Hey guys.  I keep having this reoccuring problem with leaking fork seals on my 93 B4.  

When I first bought the bike in May, I knew the seal were bad and I changed them as soon as I got in the new seals (bike master from bikebandit.com).  I only changed the seals because after looking up a few posts on the board many people had done it with no problems even though the manual recommends changing inner and outer anti friction metal, dust seals and the oil seal stopper along with the oil seal.  

After about six months, the left seal popped out, (I am guessing that I didn't have the seal stopper placed correctly).  So I went to a local shop (not a suzuki dealer) and bought some that would fit my bike ($10 for a brand I had never heard of).  I put these on and everything was fine for a couple of days then the oil started leaking around the oil seals (inner part of seal).    

I thought maybe that they were just  too cheap and I needed try different seals.  Not wanting to spend $25 (bikemaster) on seals that could start leaking again, I went to ebay and bought some more for $10 that claimed to be as good as OEM.  

After replacing them (took two weeks for shipping, seller neglected to mention he was in the UK), they started leaking again only after a few days of riding.  

My question is will changing the inner and outer friction metal on the forks help seal the oil in better or does the oil seal do that by itself?  Should I go with the bikemaster seals again?  I just need some advice from experienced people.  Thanks for looking.  

Anthoney Pennington
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 04:59:54 PM »
you sure there aren't any dings/scratshes
in your forks at the seal seating?

best way is to go stock seals from suzuki
and replace everything requiring
taking the forks completely apart
new rubber and metal rings all

if you are pulling it all apart
might as well go with new springs too
if you have the money

how bad is it leaking?

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 05:52:51 PM »
Right now there is just a little on the forks, but that is how the previous seals started also until it got progressively worst.  I am pretty sure that there are no dings or scratches.  

I am not going to put in new springs because I don't plan on keeping the bike.  I am getting a new bike some time this up coming summer and would like to keep repair costs down.  

Thanks for the reply
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 09:39:40 PM »
Looks like it will be around $85 for all the replacement parts.  Anyone know a cheaper alternative?
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline Kemics

• Board Regular!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 10:32:15 AM »
mate i had exactly the same problem. Mine was because of a tiny bit of pitting on the back of the fork, barely could feel it when i ran my finger over it but was enough to munch my seals. At first i thought it was just old seals but then the second set went so i got curious. if it is pitting, all i did was wet and dry it down and it fixed the problem. Much cheaper than buying new forks. Or stop bringing your wheelies down to heavily  :wink:
to mess somthing up is human, but to really phuck it up you need a computer.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:27:18 PM »
any fork seals are good except leak proof ones, are you putting a plastic bag over the top of the fork when you are putting the new seal on ? never run new fork seal over where the cap goes on with out a rubber for protection(that was just a example)  wet fine steel wool is a good idea, and usually it is the friction peices that are over looked as these are the parts that keep the fork inline when ya stop if these are bad you will oblong the fork seal!
Hope that helps
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 07:12:17 PM »
Kemics, what exactly do you mean by pitting?  I acutally have never wheelied it (only on dirt bikes), I just travel some rough roads.  

Also gsxr400, the anti-friction coating is starting to deteriorate on the inner antifriction peices.   I didn't know about the cap protection, nothing I have read ever mentioned it, I assume that is to prevent cutting into the seals?  

So I should go for the complete rebuild and look for pitting?
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:38:03 PM »
Quote from: "ant_129"

Also gsxr400, the anti-friction coating is starting to deteriorate on the inner antifriction peices.   I didn't know about the cap protection, nothing I have read ever mentioned it, I assume that is to prevent cutting into the seals?  

So I should go for the complete rebuild and look for pitting?

Replace those if they are wearing, and yes to prevent the seal from getting cut. Trick of the trade just assumed everyone new it! cheers good luck.
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 12:32:41 AM »
When people say "watch for pitting" what exactly do they mean.  Technically pitting is a corrosion where pits are formed in the surface of the metal material.  I think that would be something pretty obvious but maybe not.

I should get my parts tomorrow and will try to replace these parts this weekend if it is not raining (suppose to though).
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 02:26:39 AM »
anything that catches your fingernail is bad

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 10:08:48 PM »
Ok I was able to install the forks last weekend and after 150 miles of riding no problems.  Thanks for your help, guys  :thanks:
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Front Fork Seal problems
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 02:55:03 PM »
not to stir up an old post or anything but on the microfishe, im confused about the inner and outer anti-friction pieces.  I wasnt aware of a part labeled as that.  Is it the same as the metal slide that is listed on all the online micro fishe parts lists? and also would I just get parts 3-8 when replacing the seals?