Author Topic: Question...  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
Question...
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »
Okay, here's the deal.

You probably know most of the story allready, but here's a brief reminder.

Blew up engine/got new engine/engine would run but wouldn't rev at all/checked everythig but couldn't find a problem/started blaming the CDI.

So, the mechanic bought a CDI from a brokers for £70, it came, it was green with corrosion, he sent it back, and got his money back.

I then bought one off ebay for £40 from the same d!ck that I bought my engine from. At the same time, my mechanic sent my original CDI unit off for fault testing. The results for the test came back saying that there was a fault with it, so he told them to fix it. Then, the one I bought on ebay FINALLY showed up, and the mechanic put it in the bike this morning, and....

Nothing. The bike won't even spark now. Whereas before, with my original CDI, it would at least run at idle.

Now, I wasn't holding out much hope anyway, because the CDI unit from ebay was from a 1994 bandit, and my bike is a 1992 model. I know that there are differences between each year CDI, like the 91-92 CDI is differen from the 93 model. So, I had my reservations.

But this is where it gets questionable...

My new engine, bought from the same guy as the new CDI, was from the same bike as the CDI came from. Yes, the engine is from the 1994 bandit.
So I am thinking maybe it should have worked if the 94 engine has the 94 CDI connected to it? Or maybe it needs the original '92 CDI, even though the engine is '94. Maybe it doesn't matter what year the engine is, as long as you have the right year model of CDI for the year of the bike.

What do you think? I know some of you know a fair bit about this, so I am really hoping you can help me out. Can I assume that when I get my original CDI unit back, fixed up and in mint condition, that it will sort out my problems and I will be back on the road again? Or will the original CDI unit not work properly in my bike due to the engine being from a different year?

Please help me!

I am beginning to lose hope.  :crybaby:
Coopz
-Silencing Lambs Since October 31st 2006

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Question...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:10:09 PM »
Let me get this straight, your bike is a 92 and you put in a 94 motor? if this is so you answered your own question.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Question...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 09:14:18 PM »
I don't know much about this AND the various wiring diagrams online aren't any help as the resolution is not good enough to distinguish the various bits. But, it is reasonable to assume that there are wiring harness differences between the various years to matchup with the various CDI's. So, if you've got a '94 CDI hooked to a '92 wiring harness, it very well may not work. Likewise, its reasonable to assume that your '92 CDI, once repaired, will at least line up to the wiring harness properly and therefore "work".

According to gsxr400 racer the pickup down by the clutch may vary from year to year to match up properly with the CDI as well. This may be your revving problem with the '92 cdi and the '94 engine: the pickup may not match and therefore cause the CDI to not operate properly.

All that said, if there was indeed a fault in the '92 CDI, I bet she runs right off when you put the repaired one back in.  :grin:

good luck

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
Question...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 09:57:42 PM »
Thief400 - I'm not too sure what you meant there.

Me:
Can I assume that when I get my original CDI unit back, fixed up and in mint condition, that it will sort out my problems and I will be back on the road again? Or will the original CDI unit not work properly in my bike due to the engine being from a different year?

I'm guessing that you meant I answered my question in the second part of that statement? or did you mean that i answered it with the first part?

Please make it be the first!!

andrewsw - I see what you mean as to why the 94 CDI didn't work in my 92 bike. That's actually kinda reassuring, and it makes sense.

Also, it's good to know about the pickup down by the clutch, thanks for that. If I get the 92 CDI back and it doesn't work, I'll know where to look next. But, hopefully it does work! What you said made me think it should, as the CDI will now be in working order, and attatched properly to the wiring loom. I guess it just wasn't working before because it had a fault, and the 94 one didnt work because it wouldn't plug in properly.

I'm fairly sure it should work now with the 92 CDI fixed, because it worked perfectly with my 92 motor. It didnt work properly with the 94 motor, but there was definately a fault with it, so with that fixed it should run correctly. I think. I hope. lol

Anyone else got any insight? I need to be sure that it will work. Otherwise I might go insane. Thanks
Coopz

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Question...
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 12:47:12 PM »
I need to be sure that it will work. Otherwise I might go insane.

only way to know is to try it. And if it doesn't work, you've learned something. :grin: I'm guessing though, that if it started and ran with the burnt cdi, then once its repaired you should be fine. IOW, the mixing CDI years and engine years isn't going to be a problem.

gsxr400 racer has more insight on the p/u and mixing years and cdi's so you might get with him.

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
Question...
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 10:43:37 PM »
^^^ Thanks for that :)

Funny anecdote:
I got the mechanic to fix up my old 50cc derbi senda, just so I had some wheels. It got new pistons, gaskests, rear tyre, rear disk, rear pads, fork seals, indicators, handlebar grips, clutch lever, sidestand was tightened (it used to fall over all the time) chain was adjusted, and probably some other stuff I forgot to mention. I went and picked it up yesterday afternoon, and today on the way to work it died on me.  :boohoo:

Ah well. Anyway...

Yeah, I was thinking of speaking to gsxr400 racer. Cause he always knows which parts go directly from one bike to another, so he should know for sure if an engine can be changed for another and still work witht the original CDI. From what you all say though it sounds like it should work.

I also had another question for him though. So jay if you're reading this, this is for yu. (or if anyone else knows, answer! )

The mechanic said that IF this CDI doesnt work with the engine, he will try replacing the engine with one from a gsxr600, to see if it woks. He said that the gsxr600 engine just slots right into the bandit, and it is a straight swap with no hassle. So then we will se if that works, just so we can eliminate the CDI as a problem. And, he says that if it works, we could just consider leaving the gsxr600 engine in it.  :banana:

It's not that I'm hoping that the bike still doesn't work when I get the CDi back,  but how cool would it be to have a gsxr600 engine in my B4??

I was just wonderin though, would the gsxr600 engine really work in the B4? I'm not sure which year the engine is, (I think its a newer model, cause the guy that has it is a mate of mine, and he bought it as a spare when he had his last gsxr600. He always has the most up to date model, so I think the engine would be quie up to date too.) Do any gsxr600 engines work in the bandit? and if so, which years?

Thanks guys.   :beers:
Coopz

Offline mattylees46

• New user!
Question...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 04:46:06 PM »
If a gsxr 600 engine does fit in I NEED to do that to mine too  :shock:

That would be amazing. Not too sure how happy my bouncy suspension and 150-section tyre would be with an extra 60 bhp though  :grin:

Have to say though, I wouldnt mind finding out! Let us know if you do fit a GSXR 600 engine in, I'd love to know how it works out.

Good luck  :beers:
1993 Bandit 400 V

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Question...
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 05:40:58 PM »
For all practical purposes it will not fit, Two entirely different engines and mounting systems

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Question...
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 02:20:12 AM »
Quote from: Thief400
For all practical purposes it will not fit, Two entirely different engines and mounting systems

+2
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol