Author Topic: Starting Problems  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Dan19

• New user!
Starting Problems
« on: May 22, 2005, 12:14:12 PM »
Hey guys,

Great forum you have here.

I just got myself a Bandit 250 VTEC, VERY nice, I love it. Red in color and has a sports exhaust. Loud, fast and sweet to ride.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with getting it started. Heres the situation.

From a cold start. It will start fine, but without choke/throttle it wont idle and dies. Problem is if it does die just after starting it won't start again for hours. Once its warm its fine to start. The starter fires but the engine doesn't. Its pretty annoying cos if I get setup for a ride then it dies I'm stuffed for 2 hours.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?
I think it  may be flooding but should it take hours to be ready again?

Thanks in advance,

-Dan

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Starting Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
My B4 was incredibly hard to start for a while.  I finally realized that the brass tube that feeds the starter/choke circut on the #4 carb was broken.  At least on the B4, it sticks out and is easily bumped/broken.  I fixed it with some JB Weld (yup, Interfuse my favorite stuff!!!  :wink:  ) and now it fires up first time, every time.  Check yours.  Even if it's not cracked like mine, one of those tubes could be clogged.  Maybe running some carb cleaner through would fix it.  Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline theslyfox

• Board Homesteader!
Starting Problems
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 06:34:57 AM »
It could also be dirt in your fuel line impeding the draw of fuel, that happened to me same problem as yourself its worth checking, mine would start fine and then die after a while and take about an hour to start again, also what the other guy said could be the problem problem.
When you dance with the Devil its you who changes not the Devil.

Offline Dan19

• New user!
Starting Problems
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 08:35:51 AM »
Hey Thanks guys,  :grin:

I'll try both ideas this week sometime and let you know how I go!

Thanks again,

-Dan

Offline Dan19

• New user!
Starting Problems
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 11:37:43 PM »
Ok, bandit newb question, being that I've only had the bike a week now.

Can someone describe to me where the fuel line is and how exactly to clean it?

Thanks guys,  :grin:

-Dan

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Starting Problems
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 11:43:47 PM »
The fuel line rund from the petcock on the bottom left of the tank down to the carbs.

Remove it and blow it clean with compressed air - of just replace it if you think it is a problem.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tokyo_jim

• New user!
Starting Problems
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 12:25:40 AM »
I've also encountered similar problems.

I live here in Japan and recently bought a 1995 GSF 250V Bandit (my first ever bike) from a local bike dealer. I think this bike hasn't been started, much less driven, in months as I had a lot of trouble starting it for the first time today.

The first couple of attempts to start, the engine would die straight away, then I remembered the sales guy showing me where the idle adjuster was located. I twisted this to the full setting which helped the bike stay in idle. (Note: This is after I had atempted to start the bike about 5 times).

I thought "so far so good", and let the bike idle for about 5 minutes before taking it on a short run. I didn't get very far. The bike didn't want to go past 2000 rpm and would shut itself off. After restarting and trying to drive it two more times the bike now won't start at all.

Can anyone confirm the following for me: The sales guy mentioned that it would be very bad for the engine to start and shut it off repeatedly, much like what I was doing this morning to get it started. How bad is this for the engine?

I checked the brass tube that feeds the starter/choke circut, no cracks there, and also checked the fuel line which looks brand new and I assume was replaced by the bike shop where I bought the bike from.

Could my problem be due to the likely possibility that this bike has been sitting in a shop for a long time without being driven?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Starting Problems
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 02:48:35 AM »
The only real harm I see from all this starting is it's hard on the battery.

If it sat for a long period (say a month or more) the carbs could have gotten gummed up from deteriorating fuel. The cure for this is to disassemble and clean the carbs (and of course, reassemble).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
Laughing
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 07:16:27 AM »
I really had to laugh at these posts about hard starting. Been there and done that!! Really gave the battery a few good work outs and also had the start then stop then not go for another few hours or longer.

OK here is the solution dudes, firstly tune into your 250 everytime you ride and you will see how it all comes together to put your bike out of action at starting time.

THE underlying problem is your sparkplugs, replace them immediately with the NGK CR8E or the iridium version of same.

Now notice how well you bike starts when cold, avoid using the choke unless the engine doesn't fire at all and if its showing tendencies of wanting to die in 10 degree celcius or less conditions after starting immediately use chock to make it run smoothly. Get riding asap keeping RPM under 6k until you've done a few kms. You should be able to get the choke off within the first 2 mins.

Now being in tune with your bike you will notice after 2 months or so (particularly in the colder months) each time you start it will begin to have less and less throttle response after you start it until it is fully warm. This is certain sign the plugs are getting more and more carbon on the insulators. In this situation never let the bike come to idle inside the first 2 mins of running as you will never restart it once it stops.

NOW how to prevent plug fouling, when you notice the starting getting increasingly dodgy its time for a some full throttle riding. You need to properly cain the bike (redline in each gear and then flat in top) for about 4kms, this will have a major effect on cleaning plug insulators and you will find the cold starting will again improve.

The second way to prevent plug fouling is to add 30ml of acetone to your fuel after you refuel the bike each time. Adding acetone will give you amazingly smooth running and NO plug fouling at all anytime. The hassle is actually adding it, you gotta get some from hardware store and do it at home. 1 liter will last you almost forever. Another thing always use the best quality fuel like highest octane, 98 is what I use in conjunction with acetone for trouble free running.

Following this will give you years of trouble free starting from your 250 Zook. I would still change the plugs every 6 months.

One thing I strongly recommend, never leave your bike idling on the sidestand, start and ride away almost immediately but at very conservative RPM ie less than 6000rpm, this gets plenty of oil flowing up into the valve gear and also gets the water heating up a little more quickly which is needed so the correct eng temp is reached to prevent long term plug fouling.
2000 GSF250V

Australia