Author Topic: Strange Electrical Behavior  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Strange Electrical Behavior
« on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:34 AM »
My bike is suddenly having some kind of electrical problem. It appears like there's some kind of resistance in the system. I don't have enough juice to kick it, the horn sounds weak, and the blinkers don't blink.

However if I bump the engine she starts right up and runs fine. The headlight does not appear dim, and doesn't appear to dim over time, but revving doesn't make it momentarily brighter.

So I appear to have voltage generated, I seem to be getting it to the engine and headlight, but there seems to be a drag on the system. The engine does appear to be getting a bit less voltage, so I run the choke a bit to keep the revs up, but the bike runs indefinitely and the headlight appears normal.

Any clues?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Strange Electrical Behavior
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
How old is the battery? My bet is it's bad.

If the battery is newish test your voltage regulator.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »
The battery was my thought too.... but it seemed to obvious. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »
Well, it just started happening within this week, which is why I'm not thinking it's the battery, unless they drop dead just like that, do they?  :shock:

I washed the bike down last week, I wonder if I coulda shorted something. Worked fine after I washed it and the day after, so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Could the alternator be partially working, or do they just drop dead?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 04:32:40 PM »
Well, it just started happening within this week, which is why I'm not thinking it's the battery, unless they drop dead just like that, do they?  :shock:

Normally, they just fade away, but I've had them just drop dead all of the sudden, too.  Once while I was driving the car, it just died... took me a while to figure it out cuz something like that is almost NEVER a battery issue.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »
use electrical grease on your connections and check the battery voltage then check bikes charging at like 5 thousand rpm should be 14 something i think?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 12:33:55 AM »
>>...then check bikes charging at like 5 thousand rpm should be 14 something i think?<<

Reading right off the batteries' terminals, or somewhere else?

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 05:18:04 AM »
Right off the terminals.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »
You know, I had a similar problem before. If I just put the key on ON (not starting the engine), my horn would be really weak, the flashers wouldnt flash, but the bike would start up fine etc.

I had also just charged the battery all winter long, so it was nice and freshly charged. But in my case, my flasher relay was dead, and maybe that caused some other problems down the line. Are your flashers flashing at all? Sounds dumb...but just check em out!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »
somewhere you are getting a short to ground. It's drawing enough power to dim the lights etc. But not enough to prevent the generator from keeping up. You got water somewhere it doesn't belong...  that's my guess. You may have to go over the whole electrical system looking for the wet spot...

A

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 01:53:47 AM »
>>somewhere you are getting a short to ground. It's drawing enough power to dim the lights etc. But not enough to prevent the generator from keeping up. You got water somewhere it doesn't belong...<<

I thought about that, but why did it happen several days later? Wouldn't the water eventually evaporate, especially after riding it several times from the washing? WHile I'm certainly not ruling this out, the conditions as they occurred don't seem to jive.

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 02:59:12 AM »
hmmm well if you have a bad RR it will cause the battery to suddenly take a turn for the worse.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
When my RR went bad, it basically cooked the battery. Electrical was weak, motor was down on power.

Nearly the same symptoms that you're having and everything in Stormi's sig about testing it pointed it to failure. I installed a new RR from a GS500 and all was well again. No modding, plug and play.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »
>>...well if you have a bad RR...<<

RR? What's that? The rectifier?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »
yup