Author Topic: Suggestions For Selling my B400  (Read 6234 times)

Offline mddolloff

• TURBO TYPER!
Suggestions For Selling my B400
« on: March 20, 2005, 09:47:04 PM »
Hey guys.  Anyone have a recomendation on where to sell my b400?  I've decided that I am going to get rid of the bike and go with a newer SV650 (gotta stick with the naked bike) since I am 6'3" and I don't fit on the 400 all that well :-)  Anyone have suggestions of free places to list it?  Also, anyone have any idea on what the bikes are goign for roughly right now.  It's got 10k on it and has been tipped on both sides once.  It also needs some rear brake work (I don't want to do it).

Thanks guys.

Offline unsped

• New user!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 10:58:58 PM »
traderonline is a pretty good place, also sportbikes.net maybe.

im guessing a good condition bandit can go from 1800-2100 if in tip top shape. depending on where you live and what it would take to fix the rear break etc...

ill be selling mine in a little bit, its pretty much flawless condition never been dropped, 18k miles, just cleaned carbs / sync, new fork seals, new tires, new breaks. and its in a very high priced area (santa barbara, ca) and ill probably get 1800-1900 for it.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 08:44:45 AM »
Just my $.02 but I think you would have an easier time trying to sell it if it didn't have any mechanical problems.  The B4 is often bought as a beginner bike.  A beginner might be intimidated buying something that needed work.  You'd prob be able to get your money back on the sale plus it would sell quicker.  Listing it here (in the classified forum) and on any local sportbike sites would be a good idea.  I know on my local site, there are often people looking for starter bikes for friends that are looking to get into riding.

Good luck to you.

Oh, when you sell it, make sure to tell the buyer about Bandit Alley!!!!!   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 09:32:55 AM »
You guys are making me feel bad, I just bought a 1992 Bandit that was advertised as in "mint condition", with "new tires", and "recently serviced".  Here is the Ebay page:  
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4524221878, it is my first vehicle purchase over Ebay.

SO, I didn't mind paying $1,550 for it.  We drove to Atlanta to get the bike, it didn't run the day I picked it up so he gave me a $400 check and told me that IT WAS RUNNING DAYS AGO, but won't start now because he replaced the throttle cable and messed up the installation.

It has been at the shop for a week now, the bill is about $1,500 in repairs!  Both tires, while they didn't have much wear on them, were NOT new.  In North Carolina, cracks in the sidewall will keep a bike from passing inspection.  The brake pads needed replacement, and the master cylinders were gunked up with old brake fluid so the rear didn't even work.  The shock was totally blown, no rebound what-so-ever.  Carbs were all gunked up and needed new seals and needle valves (?)

When the mechanic called me after 2 days, and said that "if this bike was running a week ago, it was NOT running good!" I knew I was in trouble.  I asked him to go through the bike and make sure it is in good running order and that is when he found all the stuff.

So it makes me sad when I hear you can buy a good running 400 for $2,100 or less!  Mine will end up costing $2,700 (if there are no surprises when I go pick it up, and that is pretty doubtful!)

The mechanic said he'd be willing to talk to the previous owner about the condition of the bike, but what can I expect?  Not like he'll give me my money back and I get to keep the bike!

Oh yeah!  The $400 check bounced, but I finally got that money transferred to my paypal account.  That was pretty scary, too.

Don't trust William E Dyer, Jr. from Georgia or Tennessee!!

:boohoo:

I'm still hoping it will all work out.
 :motorsmile:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 10:02:43 AM »
God, that's an awful story!  

What are they doing for a shock for you?  I can't imagine that the OEM shock is cheap bought new.  You can pick up a used B12 shock for $20 or less, it is a big improvement and bolts right in.  For that matter, you can have my B4 shock, which was working fine when I took it out, for the cost of shipping.  Hope this info isn't too late for you!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 10:59:53 AM »
Yes, a horrible story.  I'm not sure if I'll ever buy a bike off Ebay again.

The mechanic at the shop does a lot of long swingarm swapouts, so he has a bunch of "almost new" shocks from gsxrs, ... He is selling me one for $125.  $20 sounds better, but the shock is already on there (it better be!)  I should get the bike back tomorrow or Wednesday. :lol:

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 12:13:52 PM »
MTB, I'm sorry to hear about your e-bay horror story. But it does sound like you'll have a very nice, better than new suspension bike when you are done with it. Let us know how your first ride goes.

Offline badidou

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 09:32:04 PM »
Go for :
http://austin.craigslist.org/about/cities.html
select the nearest city to where you live then " MOTORCYCLE"
I'm pretty sure you'll get a bunch of emails or calls to buy it. It's free.
Good luck.

Offline unsped

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 10:40:30 PM »
hehe man dont feel too bad. a 'mint' bandit will still need some work, they are almost 15 years old after all.

even a new bike that runs great will end up costing you 500 bucks probably in the first season.

so 2700 isnt THAT bad.

Offline badidou

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 11:10:42 PM »
I bought mine 3 months ago a 1992, 18000 miles for $700. The engine is in perfect condition. Soo far, i spent:
1- $200; new battery, brakes, air filter and oil change.
2- $100 used CDI ignition box through ebay and then fixed the original one ( so i have two now).
3- $500 rebuilt of the carburator and replacement of some carb parts ( trouble in low rpm), had to take it to a motorcycle shop. I could not figure out what was the problem. They charged me $150 for the parts and the rest labor. 6.5 hours of labor, damn that's mucho mucho$$$$$$ anyway i wont complain i spent too much time on this byke. I'll pick it up in a couple weeks because of the parts. They said that i could have the parts delivered faster and the byke ready for next, however; i needed to pay an extra $50. No way that's already a lot of money, I'll be patient.
And of course hours hours of my time and all my cell phone minutes  trying to figure out what was the problem.
So i basicaly paid $1500 after repair and that's the average price for a good condition b400.

Offline frankbama

• New user!
ebay bike
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 11:59:01 PM »
sorry to hear about your ebay bike. i was also bidding on that bike you won., but you  out bid me.  i got the next one that  came up on ebay.  it was a blue 1991  and i paid 1300 for it.  it seams to be in great shape.  As for buying on ebay  i have bought a lot of things and never had any problems  two kawasaki x2 jet skis and one trailer to name a few big ticket items, but i always go pick up in person and never give money till i am sure they item is as claimed to be.  by the way where are you in NC.

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 09:59:33 AM »
Hey Frankbama,

I'm in Greensboro, NC.  (9 years, and lovin' it, compared to Kansas it.... well, it just doesn't compare!  Being a mountain biker in Kansas is silly, like jumbo shrimp, plastic glass or government intelligence)

Sorry I outbid you (hind site is 20-20!)  I'm sure I could have picked up another one in better condition if I had waited, but my brother and I are going to the National Moto Guzzi rally in WVa and I needed a ride quick!

There is a nice looking B4 on ebay right now, less miles than mine, nothing looks messed up on it at all, starting bid is $1,750, but I bet you it would end up being cheaper than my $3K bike!

It'll be way more than $3k when I'm done with it.  Need a new handlebar, bar end weights, engine side covers, new valve gasket, new head set bearings.  I have to have some kind of fairing, rearsets or some cool anodized foot pegs, reworked seat.  After all that, I'll probably repaint the thing.  Well, my brother will, he's been painting cars and bikes for 30 years.  http://www.flamesbyfred.com  I hope to use the COOLEST temperature controled paint http://www.trippininc.com.

Maybe it'll be done by the 2006 BOSS rally.

But, HEY, I've done 2 rides on it and it is running better and better!  Not too buzzy, even without bar end weights.  Jetting from 8,000 to 13,000 RPM is fun!  The old Guzzi red lined at 7,200!  (but it had only 2 500cc jugs!)

Glad to hear of your good fortune on Ebay, because I really want to buy a BMW Z3, and the only way I can afford one is to shop for a long time for the right one, and Ebay lets me shop the whole US.

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 01:45:23 PM »
Just curious...why did you leave such glowing praise for the seller of this bike?

Very good Ebayer, A++++, great communication, straight talker
  Buyer   glavinka ( 13)   Feb-21-05 09:09  4524221878

Seems he at least deserved a little slap on the wrist for claiming the bike was running.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 06:35:19 PM »
That is a perfectly good question.  I guess that was what went wrong.  I trusted him the whole time.  Once I got the bike, and the $400 to "get it running" I figured he was being really straight with me.

I should have waited another week to rate him.

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
Follow-Up feedback
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 07:31:05 PM »
You can leave follow-up feedback on ebay.  Go to your My eBay page and on the left-hand side under "My Account" there is a link for "feedback."  On that page click the "go to feedback forum" link next to the "leave feedback" button.  On that page there is a box titled "useful links" and in the box is a link called "follow up to feeback left."  Should be pretty clear from there.