Author Topic: SV rear wheel into Stock Swinger.  (Read 2605 times)

Offline bandito93

• TURBO TYPER!
SV rear wheel into Stock Swinger.
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:27 PM »
Hi all, I just recently purchased a GSXR front end for my 93 B4 and I wanted to upgrade the rear wheel to suit the new wider front. I have heard that an SV650 wheel can be made to fit the stock swing arm with some mods and have searched but cannot find any helpful information. There is a lot of info regarding the GSXR400 swingarms w/ SV wheels but very little about the stock swinger. I recall finding some info about having to machine down the wheel and spacers but I can't find the post anymore. Has anyone else done this mod? Or can anyone shed some light on what I need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Riley-

Offline Ken Hill

• Board Regular!
Re: SV rear wheel into Stock Swinger.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:58:17 PM »
It shouldn't be a big deal, basicly just do the math to make sure the wheel stays centererd. I just put a gsxr swingarm on mine, am sticking with the stock wheels for now. The gsxr arm was 1/4" wider inside so I just added 1/8" to both spacers. A Sv wheel is a 1/2" wider at the bead, not sure about at the hub, stick a tape thru the bearings and measure both, that will tell you how much narrower the spacers need to be.

Offline bandito93

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'll have to get my hands on an SV wheel now to take some measurements. Also, does anyone know if the wheels differ for the different year SV's. i thought i remember reading somewhere that it has to be an earlier one I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again -Riley-

Offline Ken Hill

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
The 2nd gen. SV wheels are a little lighter and have different brgs. 1st gen. used a 17mm axle which is what the Bandit has, 2nd gen. has a 20mm axle. You can change the brgs. easily if you end up getting a 2nd. gen wheel.

Offline bandito93

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
Perfect, Thanks Ken thats just the info I needed. One more thing that just pooped into my head, what about the rear brakes? if the hub is wider will that not throw off my brake caliper mounting point? Thanks -Riley-