Author Topic: sprockets f#*king the carbs??  (Read 2549 times)

Offline raychool

• Board Regular!
sprockets f#*king the carbs??
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:40:44 AM »
hi hi again!!

mmkay.. getting my 97 bandit back from the mechanic on thursday after 9 weeks :(

it keeps breaking down because too much fuel seems to be getting through and flooding it. have had 2 different sets of mechanics look at it extensively (carbs and electrical)- none of them could figure out what was wrong..grrrr..

yesterday they said the problem was that the rear sprocket was too small!!!!!!!!  (only had 10 teeth) - and that they had tuned the carbs to the standard sized sprocket. therefore too much fuel was staying in the carbs.
the bike now seems to be running ok i think..

i'm a girl and don't know much about these things- does this sound right to you guys??? if so could some one possibly explain to me in more detail why having a smaller sprocket causes  my bike to die?

thanks  :)

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:56:02 AM »
only 10 teeth? jesus, the stock one has 47 or 49 ( i cant remember off the top of my head) they must have meant - 10 teeth or something
if the back one was that small the bike would hardly move. did you notice this happening?

sounds like bullshit to me thogh, the 250 has no torque at low rpm , so a too-small rear sprocket would make it hard to launch, that could lead to plug fouling i guess, but fuel getting through =  problem in the carbs. usually around the floats not shutting properly.
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:31:30 PM »
10 teeth on the REAR sprocket?!?!?! That wouldn't move. If you mean the front sprocket, I think 13 is standard, so that would make it accelerate quite a bit better. It still has absolutely no grunt at low revs though

Offline raychool

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 02:49:07 AM »
heh
oops! :shock:
i think he meant the back sprocket had 10 LESS teeth than its supposed to.

thx for replies!

they changed it to the proper sized sprocket- what a freaking difference!
you guys are saying the 250 has no go at low revs- imagine what it was like with a smaller sprocket!! heh! now i can actually drag cars off at the lights!! and is so loud!!

it does appear to have fixed the problem- am just not entirely sure of the mechanics behind it ?? :sad: