Author Topic: 2nd September Taupo Trackday videos  (Read 3066 times)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
2nd September Taupo Trackday videos
« on: September 03, 2007, 08:03:30 AM »
Here's some video footage from the 3rd session of the medium group at a trackday I did on sunday.

It's probably longer than most want to watch, but I had a great time and wanted to share the lot. Maybe the more interesting bits are at 6:44 in the second video where I almost lose the back end, and then at 6:29 in the third video where I fell off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAHJMBYsaAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU653TWCmUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBaVQ5QKiLQ

Anyway, after doing a trackday at Taupo in May last year and falling off, I decided I'd better get leathers because cordura is really only made to crash once. So this year, having finally got leathers and got my bike working good, I did the HRC trackday on the 20th August, then the MotoTT one on sunday (2nd Sept).
I got my knee down for the first time on the HRC trackday (only just a couple of times).
My aims for the MotoTT trackday were to lean further over and possibly get my knee down a bit more.

I think for the next trackday, I'll try to stay within my limits a bit better and try to be more aware of things off the track and the marshal's flags. Oh, and get my head around the turn from the new track onto the old... (turn 9 after the pits, I think)

That said, this was the best trackday I've ever done, I was having so much fun hanging off the bike.
I'm pleased with how my leathers held up, they might need a zip replaced on the right hand sleeve but (hopefully) nothing else. The crash bungs I got at the end of last year did their job well to protect the frame. I just have to get the clutch cover fixed or replaced and the bike will be rideable.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
nice save on the first what shock you running in the rear. Love the track. did you lose it because of the pipe. Die hard bandit fires back up after a crash. you motor on that bike id race it in the 400 class there.
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »
It's a shame about your get-off but you definitely picked up the pace from the earlier vid you posted.  You were moving pretty good!  Looks like that pass you made of the green bike didn't put you in a very good position to set up that next turn.  You tried to take it at your speed but with less track to work with.  Looks like you came out of it all right, though.   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
nice save on the first what shock you running in the rear. Love the track. did you lose it because of the pipe. Die hard bandit fires back up after a crash. you motor on that bike id race it in the 400 class there.
cheers
Jay

cheers. I'm running a 91 ish gsxr1100 rear shock. It's raised the back a bit so now the exhaust doesn't scrape. I know I scraped the pegs a couple of times on previous laps, maybe they touched down that time. I don't think I managed to get into position to get my knee down after passing that guy (I'm still just learning to get my knee down), I think maybe if I had, I might've saved it (or highsided... ;) ).

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
you motor on that bike id race it in the 400 class there.
cheers
Jay

Relevant class here would be F3 - IL4 engine up to 450cc (or 650 v-twin).

Just right for an overbore......

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
if half your butt is on the seat you will drag knee all the time
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 05:20:19 AM »
BTW, I'm looking forward to getting on a track at the same time as you sometime.

I'm thinking about doing the double in Nov - Fri 2nd and Sun 4th at Taupo.

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 06:40:01 AM »
Quote from: "El Dopa"
BTW, I'm looking forward to getting on a track at the same time as you sometime.

I'm thinking about doing the double in Nov - Fri 2nd and Sun 4th at Taupo.

Yeah, it would be good. I'm not sure when my next trackday is going to be, I feel like I've been going flat out the last few weeks and am going to spend some time relaxing a bit and not planning anything. But it's a possibility, november is a while away.

I've watched the video a few more times, I reckon I can hear the footpeg scraping and see the bike wobble for a fair bit before it goes down.

if half your butt is on the seat you will drag knee all the time

http://www.flickr.com/photos/felixlacat/1317881863/in/set-72157601847626248/

Especially me since I'm a tall bastard. ;P

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 10:51:56 AM »
if that was a pick of you it looks like you have no problems and i'll  :stfu:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 07:55:50 PM »
Get that upper body lower!  Like this guy (not me... best friend... wicked fast!)

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=03HV00E82F0003&po=3&c=

:lol:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 04:18:05 AM »

There's some pics up on our local forum, but I'll leave it up to Erik to post 'em across if he want to.

Doesn't look like he's having any probs at all. He probably needs a new set of kneesliders, though...

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 09:46:52 AM »
Quote from: "El Dopa"

There's some pics up on our local forum, but I'll leave it up to Erik to post 'em across if he want to.

Doesn't look like he's having any probs at all. He probably needs a new set of kneesliders, though...

The one above is the best one I've seen. I don't need new knee sliders yet, but the thought did go through my mind when I was on the track that it was going to get expensive if I kept dragging my knee so much. ;)

I do need more practice though, that was the first time I was really getting the hang of getting my knee down.