Author Topic: Cheap,near perfect high midpipe solution.  (Read 2344 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
Cheap,near perfect high midpipe solution.
« on: May 26, 2007, 10:59:02 PM »
In my quest to quiet down the Bandit,Ive had my eyes on off-ing the Yosh system.Its just too loud and obnoxious for my tastes.With the deletion of the passenger pegs,I started thinking about how slick the skinny little tail section would look with a high pipe.After looking at several high mid-pipes from Hindle and Jardine,I decided I didnt want to spend $150+ on a mid-pipe that might not work.So,I started fishing on Ebay and found this little beauty for a whopping 35 bucks.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290086402712&rd=1,1

With a little pushing,it slips right over the outlet of the Yosh collector and has the perfect,perfect curve to it.I did have to cut about 6" off the long section and I ground off the mounts for the heatshield while I was at it.Luckily,the inlet steps up a couple times,so I cut there,and was able to retain a slip-over connection when I pushed the inlet back on.This way,Im not butt welding the two pieces together,rather they support each other and the weld keeps them together.I have a good MIG welder with Tri-Mix for welding stainless,but any kind of welder could make the little stitch welds needed to zap it together.Pics to come,once I get a muffler for it.For now,I can just slip the Yosh muffler and mid-pipe back on, and keep trucking.

The up-curve now fits perfectly behind the front pegs and ends right where the pass pegs used to be.I took my 20" Hindle Ti Stealth muffler off the FZR1000 and slipped it over the pipe and its looks and sounds awesome!Very quiet,and it flows with the bikes lines very well.A 16" Hindle Ti Stealth muffler should work nicely.

Heres the muffler I test fit for sound and look.Its light and very quiet,considering its a straight through design......

Itll also show off my new Galfer wave rotor and soon-to-be GSXR400 swingarm.
BTW,the Galfer rear rotor is for a GS500E,but it and the Galfer pads bolt right up to the B4.They look slick and are cheaper in some cases,than using a stock replacement.Mine was rough and squeeking,so it had to go.These guys have two more left,in case anyone has a bum rear brake....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300045715084&rd=1,1
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 02:10:59 AM »
flipping ingenious nice to see others tacking a crack at new things.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 02:40:52 AM »
Thanks,
Despite the fact that this buildup has been financed by an insurance pay-off (a bus crashed into my parked Samurai and boat)....Im always looking to save a buck and/or make stuff up on my own.Thankfully,my desire to tinker is backed up by a job that abouds with tools.
The plain stainless pipe has a functional,raw look to it,should go nice with the satin bronze color of the Ti muffler.But,its the final nail in the coffin for any ability to go two-up and its likely to spur the removal of the handy centerstand,since there is no longer a stopper for it.Oh,well....its was kinda dead weight anyways and Ive got little more reason to need a centerstand now,since almost all the major surgery is finished.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 02:51:21 AM »
The only time I ever use the centre stand is for chain oiling (it comes in handy for sprockets and tire changes, but I send it to the shop for that stuff anyways)... If you've already got a rear stand, there's really no need for a centre stand. If you don't -- theres a sketchy youtube video of a guy using a 2 x 4 and the side stand to life the rear tire up.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:38:58 AM »
Quote from: "turbofb"
Thanks,
Despite the fact that this buildup has been financed by an insurance pay-off (a bus crashed into my parked Samurai and boat)....Im always looking to save a buck and/or make stuff up on my own.Thankfully,my desire to tinker is backed up by a job that abouds with tools.
The plain stainless pipe has a functional,raw look to it,should go nice with the satin bronze color of the Ti muffler.But,its the final nail in the coffin for any ability to go two-up and its likely to spur the removal of the handy centerstand,since there is no longer a stopper for it.Oh,well....its was kinda dead weight anyways and Ive got little more reason to need a centerstand now,since almost all the major surgery is finished.

or turn it into a nice / track bike lol
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol