Author Topic: Blew up my bike  (Read 6854 times)

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 10:52:31 AM »
Well in the short time I owned it before it went south I didn't notice any oil consumption.  I put roughly 3000 miles on it after I bought it before anything went wrong.  I talked to the previous owner to get some maintenance history, all he can come up with for sure is that the carbs have been played with a few times.

There was no apparent scoring on the cylinder walls they look very smooth.

OK some tech questions, once I measure piston cylinder clearance and make sure it's in spec should I hone the cylinder walls before replacing the rings, and putting it back together.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Blew up my bike
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 03:56:42 PM »
Quote from: "SRwitt"
OK some tech questions, once I measure piston cylinder clearance and make sure it's in spec should I hone the cylinder walls before replacing the rings, and putting it back together.

YES!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 06:49:20 PM »
Well red you seem pretty damn sure so I'll go wit ya on that one.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Blew up my bike
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 08:54:11 PM »
A lot of people will say, "No, not if they look OK", but it's still a pretty darned good idea. Besides, you have the bike apart already, might as well hump that cylinder block over to a machinist!

I'd really recommend taking a good hard look at the heads too, check the combustion chambers and valves for signs of carbon buildup and burning.

Just out of curiousity, where was the head gasket blown? Looking at the pics in my manual, it doesn't look like there are oil passages in the block other than the valve chain passage.

If you got the dough, you should see if GSXRRacer has anymore of those GSXR400 cams that bolt right on.  :grin:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Blew up my bike
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 04:19:14 AM »
He did say:
There was no apparent scoring on the cylinder walls they look very smooth.

If you're putting in fresh rings and the existing bore is "very smooth" then you need to at least run a hone thru and get some good 45* cross-hatching on them so the new rings will have something to seat to. You don't need to take it to a machine shop, you can usually rent a bore hone from a parts or rental store, but if you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, then by all means, take it to a pro.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 10:49:36 AM »
It's hard saying if the head gasket was blown.  It definately didn't look like it was in too good of shape.  There is some black gunk, I don't know if it was a sealant or if its burnt oil all over it right around the cylinder walls.  I'll try and get some pictures up soon so ya'll can see what I'm dealing with.  

Hopefully I can get it running pretty quick I still want to ride before winter.  Might even ride from wear I'm at near the Spokane, WA area to meet up with some other northwest riders if it would be possible.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Blew up my bike
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 01:48:35 AM »
always deglaze your cylinder  same goes with rotors when you change brake pads ! truely check your head as you might have bad valve seals or a worn valve guide! Mind you all you can get is stock rings not the next size over as they are dis continued so if your bore is out of round you are F-ed ! cheers bro
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 03:38:27 PM »
Hope I'm not f'd but if worse comes to worse and it's still goin I may jump in on the group buy for the 442 kit, but as of this moment I dont have the cash to throw down on it.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 04:21:56 PM »
Hope I'm not f'd but if worse comes to worse and it's still goin I may jump in on the group buy for the 442 kit, but as of this moment I dont have the cash to throw down on it.

do what you can, some auto parts stores will lend you the tools free you just pay/deposit and then return them for a full refund; I think you can get them for 30days.  you should try to take the head to a shop that will look at it just to be sure its really ok.  I wouldn't pay for any machine work yet. you seem pretty capable/confident.  I'd save the machine shop labor bills for the group buy kit.

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 06:55:22 PM »
Well there are only 9000 original miles on the bike.  I can't imagine there being too much machine work involved.  I may sound confident but this is my first real adventure into the inner workings of an engine.  I've talked to mechanics here and there, I'm going to clean up the head and turn it upside down so I can fill the chambers with solvent to check for leaky valves.  Hopefully all it needs is the rings, gaskets and a valve adjust, along with all other maintenance that should be done with this mileage anyways.  I think I've read the service manual about 5 times by now.  Thats probably where the confidence is coming from.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 12:30:49 AM »
I think I've read the service manual about 5 times by now.  Thats probably where the confidence is coming from.

It scares me that I've memorized the torque values for most of the bike, but can't remember easy things like birthdays and anniversaries....

9000 miles with proper maintenance shouldn't involve too much work. I've got twice that may miles with only doing regular maintenance and the engine is still strong.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.