Author Topic: Replace bulb in speedo  (Read 7191 times)

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« on: September 19, 2005, 12:21:02 AM »
Has anyone replaced the bulb in the speedometer?  I tried taking the thing apart and didn't get that far.  Does anyone know how to get to the bulb.  I didn't see that in repair manual.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 01:07:46 AM »
Quote from: "ant_129"
Has anyone replaced the bulb in the speedometer?  I tried taking the thing apart and didn't get that far.  Does anyone know how to get to the bulb.  I didn't see that in repair manual.

I've changed the bulb before. From what I recall:

1. Remove the allen screw from the back of the speedo bucket.
2. Pull on the chrome ring and the speedo should seperate
3. Pull the rubber bulb holders from the white plastic
4. Remove / replace the bulbs

I think there's more then one bulb...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 08:06:45 PM »
Ok so you just need to pull the chrome ring?  Well I started to pry it off good thing I didn't force it.  Thanks.  Any idea where I can find replacement bulbs?
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 08:54:06 PM »
I don't have my manual handy but I'd take one out and take it in to an auto parts store and say, "I need one of these!"  Works every time!   :lol:

Seriously, I didn't realize there is more than one bulb in there.  My speedo is pretty dim.  Maybe I'll tear in there one of these days.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 12:20:56 AM »
I got them from the dealer. Parts desk had them in stock and they were cheap.

It's been awhile since I changed the bulbs. Even after looking at the exploded diagram I couldn't tell you what bulb you'd want or how many you'd need. I know that either the speedo, or the tach, or both have more then one bulb.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 12:33:10 AM »
Quote from: "ant_129"
Ok so you just need to pull the chrome ring?  Well I started to pry it off good thing I didn't force it.  Thanks.  Any idea where I can find replacement bulbs?

It's kind of hard to explain.

You need to remove the allen screw at the rear of the bucket. Then the speedo / tach should come out easy when you pull up on the chrome ring. The chrome ring is attached (pretty much perminently) to the white plastic housing. The white plastic stuff is hidden inside that fake silver bucket.

You don't need to remove the chrome ring from the white plastic housing to get at the bulbs. The chrome ring is almost impossible to remove from the white plastic, and its even harder to get back on. I know this because I made two tach's into one...

The bulb holders are rubber and will pull out from the rear of the white plastic housing if you give them a good pull.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 02:35:35 PM »
I've replaced mine before.  There is a bulb at the top of the assembly and a bulb at the bottom.  One lights the top half, the other the bottom half.  If I remember correctly, auto parts stores don't have 'em.  What I cant recall is whether the buckets and assemblies both bolt to the mounting/combination bracket. It seems to me that I had to unbolt the assembly from the bracket (two allen bolts) and remove the bolt that hold the bucket on.  The bucket slides right off revealing the rubber holders.  If my bike were here at work, I'd have a look.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 02:40:28 PM »
Quote from: "TheKillerB"
It seems to me that I had to unbolt the assembly from the bracket (two allen bolts) and remove the bolt that hold the bucket on.  The bucket slides right off revealing the rubber holders.  If my bike were here at work, I'd have a look.

Know what, that kind of rings a bell with me too..
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 11:53:49 PM »
Sweet guys.  Thanks for all the helpful info.  I haven't had a chance to look at it again because I have been buried under days of homework (senior year in college).  I remember seeing two sets of wires at the bottom of the speedo and I didn't know what they where so I left them alone.  

I won't be able to get to it this weekend either becuase it is suppose to rain like mad here because of Rita.  

Oh well, I will get it eventually.  My rpm gauge tells me my speed in six gear anyway.  (6k = 60 mph and so on, seems kind of linear).
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
Replace bulb in speedo
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 06:40:08 AM »
I replaced mine also. I remember there were 3 or 4 bulbs inside but the gauge is dim anyway. Got my replacement from a Kawie parts store. It's not exactly the same size but same voltage. Wider on the bottom side so I had to file off some glass. But it fit then. Just need some little effort and creativity.