Author Topic: front fork seals  (Read 2734 times)

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
front fork seals
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:47:23 PM »
Hey guys.  I am currently trying to change my front fork seals for a 93 bandit 400.  I used an impact gun to break loose the bottom 8 mm bolt but now I am stuck.  I can't get the inner tube disconnected from the lower part.  I also can't get the 8 mm bolt all the way out because something in the middle of the tube is spinning.  I guess I have not removed the damper rod yet and was wondering how to do it with out the special tool (thats what I thought the impact gun replaced).  Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Anthoney
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline todius

• Board Homesteader!
front fork seals
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:20:57 AM »
The part that's spinning inside is the damper rod itself.  

If you were able to break the bolt free with the impact gun, you can probably get enough force on the damper rod to keep it from turning by temporarily putting the spring and spacer back in and tightening the fork cap.  If you're lucky, this will be enough force to keep the rod from spinnning while you hit it with the impact.

If not, you can try a broom handle/wooden dowel to hold the damper rod, buy the special tool, or just build one with some threaded rod and the right size nut.  I have a post somewhere where I built one for diff bike you can do a search for to get an idea of what I did.  Not sure what size nut you'll need for the B4 though :/
-Brent

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
front fork seals
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 06:44:00 AM »
Here is Todius' post.

Here's a pic of his good work!

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
front fork seals
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 07:54:42 PM »
Sweet.  Thanks guys.  I got the end of a sledge hammer and held the damper rod with that and unscrewed the bolt by hand.  Thanks for you help.  All I have to say is that this really needed to be done.  The oil almost looked like mud.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards