Author Topic: After a long drought i have finally helped enough people out  (Read 3678 times)

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
After a long drought i have finally helped enough people out
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 06:12:53 PM »
Quote from: "jodyvan"
Well even if it knocks on the door of 90-100hp with the srad I'd be giddy giving it a go on my bike. I've only had it for a few weeks and it's like a drug tweaking and playing with it. :nuts:

As soon as I can put the scratch together I'll have me a little "bandit fund" I'll start for buying things for it. :D

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know what to do with that kind of power anyways but it does sound cool ...  :lol:

Here's what I'm hoping to do to my 400 project engine, starting in the next month or so (the stars are finally aligning):

1) flatside keihin carbs
2) big bore kit - 442
3) GSX400FS crank.

That should give around 500cc, with suitable carbs to handle the extra displacement.

I think Jay has said he is getting 80+ HP with just the carbs and the 442 kit. So I'm hoping for high 80's true rear wheel HP. We'll see.

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 12:40:08 PM »
After doing some research (yes Bart I did research:lol:) and talking with Jay I definitely think I'll be doing the carbs and bore kit at some point.

Sounds like they will be super fun little additions. Ive got a K&N and jet kit soon to happen but I think I better get to know the bike and learn to ride it comfortably before doing the carbs and bore kit. Sounds like a winter project for me. :D

I'll be watching for posts on how the project goes. ;)
91 Bandit GSF400VM Japan import

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 06:55:57 AM »
Quote from: "El Dopa"
Here's what I'm hoping to do to my 400 project engine, starting in the next month or so (the stars are finally aligning):

1) flatside keihin carbs
2) big bore kit - 442
3) GSX400FS crank.

I think Jay has said he is getting 80+ HP with just the carbs and the 442 kit. So I'm hoping for high 80's true rear wheel HP. We'll see.

Do you alreaddy have the crank?
if yes then you should alreaddy have found out that:
- you need to machine the left side of the crank to make it shorter
- you need to machine a piece to go to the right side of the crank to be able to use the flywheel (or run without if its for race use, like Jay does)
- you need to machine the conrods or get other/custom pistons or get other conrods, cos the gsx400f have 14mm small-ends instead of 16mm (don't know about the big-ends size yet, cos before i take my engine apart im waiting for 2 other crankshafts)
- you probably gonna need a longer camchain

if you dont have it yet:
- i should have an extra one which i might prepare so that its readdy to go, but your not the only one who is interested

Jay did more then just other carbs and the 442kit to get to 80+hp  :stickpoke:
if i remember correctly he has a suzuki full race exhaust system, he doesn't run a flywheel, he ported his head, has good squish tolerance and prolly some other stuff. (things like seperate cam advancing, oil scraper, crankcase air passages)
I'm not saying high 80+HP isnt going to happen, just that if you want that its prolly gonna be more work then only make it 498cc with big flatside carbs...

my other cranks will be here in 2 weeks, i plan to get started on my B5 project before that. ill make a topic about it to keep you guys informed.

good job jodyvan  :clap:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 12:35:38 PM »
Figured you'd appreciate it. I'd take pictures of all the searching I've done but I thought it might be a bit much and it wouldn't give you anything to complain about since I still ask questions even after searching....  :stickpoke:

I'm looking forward to checking out the projects. It's understandable they are big jobs for sure but  I'd say a bore kit and carbs is a decent start whether 80+ hp or not.  :grin:

So hurry up and post some info on that project so I can research it....
91 Bandit GSF400VM Japan import

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 05:52:02 PM »
Quote from: "Bartjan"
Lot of useful info

Excellent. I drop a net, and the useful info swims right in....

Seriously, thanks for that.

It is unlikely that I'll be doing the majority of the hard technical 'hands dirty' work myself. I'd like to, but I am all too aware of my limitations.....

Fortunately, I have stumbled across an engine builder who can do all of this for me. What I want/need is to be able to talk to him intelligently about what I want done, whether he can do it, and how much it is going to cost me.

Thanks to you, I can go and talk to him intelligently about crankshafts.