Author Topic: throttle to idle screw? and how to hook throttle cable to butterfly again?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
Ok so i got my bike out and its having a hard time going over 55. It loses power when i open the throttle on the hwy. It also idle at 2500 at warm up no matter what. I turn the knobe and i can set it when its cold but warm i turn it all the way out and it has no effect in lowering the idle.

so i took the airbox off and i was looking at the throttle that hits the idle screw. They dont touch when the knob is all the way down and throttle is closed. Should they?

I hear a snap when i close the throttle but whats it hitting i guess because its not the screw.

I drained the carbs and the gas came out clean and with a steady flow.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:30:47 PM by fireburster »

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Re: throttle hammer to idle screw?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »
I don't know if they should touch, I'll have to look.  Just wanted to comment that extremely small nudges on my idle adjustment knob have effect.  Around 1/8 of a turn will change by 500 RPM or more.  Is your choke/enricher linkage sticking? 

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
Re: throttle hammer to idle screw?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:38:55 PM »
checking into choke sticking right now, sometime it hits a cable coming out but not going in. Going to inspect it.

My throttle cable came off the stop though! How do i get it back on? I can hook it in the cable groove but i cant turn the head to get it all the way in there.

Also how does the throttle hook back up top? I took the case off to look and it all just popped off and i dont remember how it all goes back. Does the wire go over the top and pull it towards you?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:42:07 PM by fireburster »

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
got a smaller set of needle nose and i got the wire in! Now to track down other issues.

Offline gixxerjasen

• TURBO TYPER!
I was going to say that the cable only goes back in with magic, but I see you figured out a technical way to do it.

I would say that if it just "popped off" and you didn't have to work to get it on or off, something is definitely amiss.  You need approximately 62 curse words to get that sucker back on with ordinary tools.