Author Topic: Time for new clutch plates soon?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Time for new clutch plates soon?
« on: May 16, 2006, 02:55:56 PM »
Well, took Dita for a boot yesterday, and I noticed that the friction point is -really- close to the end of the clutch lever.  Stopped into my local Honda dealer to make an appointment for the other bike, and mentioned that I would have to do a clutch adjustment on the bandit.  They looked at me like I was an alien.

So, when I came home, we pulled the book out, and did something in the maintenance section, that was awful like a clutch adjustment.  That moved the friction point a small bit,... I think.

I know that most people will tell me that if the clutch isn't slipping, that it doesn't need to be changed... but what happens when the friction point moves to a point somewhere past the end of the lever?   :monkeymoon:

It hasn't yet, but I'm thinking this is an eventuality.  

Also, I hope that changing the clutch (including the basket?) will make that awful knock go away... this will likely get done this fall, as long as we're not causing her any pain by running her as is for the time being.  Having done the top end of the engine, and found everything in spec, I think the only place the knock can be is in the tranny/clutch now?  If only I could find my stethoscope. (I can make an mp3 of the sound if anyone thinks they can diagnose it.)

Anyone have any comments or pitfalls?
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:10:49 PM »
When it moves that far it's due to one of two reasons:

1) Cable/linkage problems

2) Time for a new clutch
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:17:56 PM »
So, since we've adjusted the clutch cable, and nothing seems to be binding, it's likely new clutch time?

When we talk about a new clutch, this means the plates or the basket as well? (I'm still used to a car clutch, where everything comes in one neat little package.  :wink: )

This bike was not maintained before we got it, and I suspect that the adjustment we did last night has never been done before. The lack of rounded and stripped bolts was one clue.   :roll:  I think we've spent a small fortune in bolts and nuts for the old girl, just replacing what the previous owners have done.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:22:10 PM »
Depends on the condition of the basket. You'll need to measure the gaps between the new plate tangs and basket slots, if the gaps are too big or the slots have grooves worn into them, new basket time.

You should also check the clutch springs to make sure they haven't gone weak on you while you're doing all this.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:35:26 PM »
From what I've read in some of the other posts in the B4 forum, the clutch basket makes noise when it goes?  like a rattle?

What causes that?  the gaps getting too large?

Check.  Will definitely check the springs.  One of the local Pro-stock shops is entertained when we bring our "tiny little" springs in for testing.  They're used to big block car engines.

I wonder if it would be worth popping that cover this week and taking a peek, just to see what the situation is...
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:22:46 PM »
stormi: What causes that?  the gaps getting too large?

BINGO!

I wonder if it would be worth popping that cover this week and taking a peek, just to see what the situation is...

Can't hurt. Especially if it's time for an oil change anyway.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:49:12 PM »
stormi: What causes that?  the gaps getting too large?

BINGO!

Can't hurt. Especially if it's time for an oil change anyway.

lol! you mean her weekly change?   :roll:  :duh:  She's been getting really short changes the last few weeks since the engine went back in.  ( 3 oil changes in the last 300 odd kms) It's not time for a change right now ( with 86kms on this change) but I'm willing to sacrafice the oil to know what her grievance is.

So,.. the rattle would be slop then?  Running her while it's making that noise is just annoying, or asking for further damage?  If the plates are able to hit the sides of the basket with force that they're not supposed to,.. does that mean there's potential for parts of the basket to break off? I would classify that as a bad thing...
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 11:12:49 AM »
Most likely, just annoying. I think you'd have to be whipping poor Dita pretty hard to break the basket - or tangs off the plates. You may get small shavings in the oil in the meantime, but if you haven't noticed any in the last few frequent oil changes of yours, it's not likely going to change much.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 12:00:30 PM »
ehh, i'm hearing stuff... from the clutch so was mentioned, but it doesn't sound like a rattle at all, more like a WOOOWOOOWOOO sound, only hearable in low revs, when pulling the gas in-gear in low revs (4-5k's).. Got the advice i should replace the basket, but i'd like to ride it for a change  :sad:  Am i negligent if i leave this sound? Hopefully i'll ride it next week!
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 12:10:11 PM »
Well, it won't get better by itself.  :wink:

But like Stormi, you can probably ride it for a while.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 12:29:36 PM »
Is it like the sound you get in 6th gear?

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 12:56:23 PM »
Most likely, just annoying. I think you'd have to be whipping poor Dita pretty hard to break the basket - or tangs off the plates. You may get small shavings in the oil in the meantime, but if you haven't noticed any in the last few frequent oil changes of yours, it's not likely going to change much.

How would I distinguish those from the little bits from the engine rebuild?  :wink:   No, I've not noticed anything alarming since after the first change post-engine rebuild.

Neither of us is particularly hard on the clutch, so I'm not too worried then.

Ok,.. then, I'll take Dita to Jasper this weekend and not worry about the noise for the time being.  Then come fall, I'll see about a new clutch and basket for her.

Thanks Red!  :grin:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 12:59:47 PM »
ehh, i'm hearing stuff... from the clutch so was mentioned, but it doesn't sound like a rattle at all, more like a WOOOWOOOWOOO

Hmm,.. my Malamute sounds like that when he's lonely....

Sort of like a howl, but not a steady one?

Do you have the stock sprocket or an aftermarket sprocket?  My aftermarket sprocket sounds like that, and then when I get to higher revs, I can't heard it anymore because of all of the other noises around me.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
indeed, the pitch changes as the rpm changes and once in higher rev's i don't hear it anymore... either it's outside of the human ear spectrum or other noises drown it out..
Sprockets seem OEM, but now i'm in the process of renewing a lot, and bought a DID chainset with JT sprockets, we'll see how it sounds then. Now just waiting till i get the opportunity to find a decent bearing replacement for the rear wheel,the biggest of the three is worn out pretty bad...
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 11:01:42 PM »
How have you made out with your clutch? I find it had to believe that its worn out. I have 100's of drag racing starts on mine and 100's of wheelies and at 37000km its still going strong.
Something that did come to mind is what kind of oil are you running?